Wattpad Original
Mayroong 5 pang mga libreng parte

Chapter 2 - Heading That Way

TOO LIFELESS. Kaelee was quite lifeless, and lethargic, on her first day of training at San Rafael Hospital. Why wouldn't she? She had a hard time getting some sleep this Sunday because of two things—first, her excitement for her training, and second, being hunted by the ghost of Surgeon Sin's face.

She tried to ease her mind, thinking that no matter how weird that English-speaking doctor was, she should not let it affect her motivation for her training. Unfortunately, she only caught a wink during the wee hours. Her grandmother had to wake her up.

"Kaelee, wake up. Why are you always late for everything?" he hollered with her machine gun mouth. She wasn't angry, but her tone was filled with urgency.

Kaelee could hear her pacing back and forth all around the room. The old woman quickly took her uniform from the cabinet and placed it neatly at the foot of her bed. Lola Helene's attentiveness wasn't new to Kaelee who is her only grandchild. She could even say that she was spoiled by Lola Helene.

"Get up, Kaelee," Lola Helene called repeatedly. Her grandmother was used to the fact that she slept like a log, which explains her patience. Meanwhile, Kaelee got used to her grandmother's patience, making her feel safe to give in to her laziness to get up.

'I'm still sleepy, Lola...'

KAELEE walked to San Rafael Hospital in her white scrub suit. She wore her uniform already because she wouldn't have enough time to change clothes once she reached the hospital. When she arrived, her co-trainees and the instructor were already present in the nurse station. So, they immediately began their briefing. They were designated to different wards and stations with different assigned schedules and routines.

Kaelee absorbed all her tasks in her head, but because she lacked some good night's rest, she always had to chase for everything, or else she would be too late for checking the vitals of a certain patient or for providing medication for them.

'Get haggard if you're meant to feel haggard!' Kaelee thought while panting. She almost slid the soles of her shoes against the floor to gain more acceleration as she descended the stairs. She was about to return to the nurse station after checking on a patient who was two floors away from her destination.

Kaelee preferred the stairs to the elevator because she feared that the hospital was too old and that even the elevator might malfunction and add her to the number of in-patients there. Aside from that, she thought the elevator would only slow her down, especially when there were other people in there with her.

She almost slammed against a man wearing a white coat, it made her gasp.

'Surgeon Sin!' her mind announced as she stepped back, lifted her eyes on the man, and recognized him.

Dr. Alfred was his usually creepy self—the stubbles, the sinister smile, the low-ponytailed wolf-cut hair, and his snake-like eyes. She still wondered what kind of patient would be able to entrust their lives to a doctor who looks like him.

'Do his patients know that he operated his own eyes? That he hired an unregistered nurse to be his assistant in his clinic?'

Unknown to her, the doctor looked happy upon meeting her because he had been searching for her all this time. The nurses at the nurse station told him that she was in Room 359. He was about to go there when they met by the stairs.