2. So Cold

Lan Wangji was walking through the corridors of Jinlintai with his brother, Lan Xichen and Uncle, Lan Qiren when he saw Jin Zixuan rushing off somewhere. Going in a little further, he heard the reason and all the blood drained from his face, Wei Ying was ambushed. Wei Ying was in danger and he wasn't there to protect his only friend. Not that he thought Wei Ying couldn't protect himself, his friend was one of the most powerful cultivators of their generation, but recently the younger man had looked weaker than before, it was as if he had suddenly become smaller than he should be, hence the worry.

Lan Wangji was a pro at hiding his emotions so schooling his expression into looking indifferent was no big deal for him and yet at this very moment he found it difficult to conceal the anger and worry that he felt. Not minding much about mannerisms and formalities he just walked away to where he had seen  Jin Zixuan was headed.

It did not come as a surprise to Lan Xichen that his brother had reacted the way he had. When it came to Wei Wuxian, Wangji was always a little more sensitive and human. But he couldn't let his little brother go alone now, could he? So, he bowed to his uncle and followed Wangji, it wasn't too difficult to catch up as it hadn't been that long since he left.

To Lan Qiren, Wei Wuxian had always seemed troublesome just like his mother. To make things worse, he even got her features, and that god-damned mischievous smile. But he also knew that the kid had a kind heart. He did not believe when people gossiped that Wei Wuxian was probably building an army of Wen soldiers to wage war against the cultivation world. That however, also did not mean that he approved of that spoiled brat, the cultivation he chose defied orthodoxy and Lan Qiren would stand to disapprove of it till his last breath. Yet here he was, following the suit of his nephews before he could even contemplate his plan of action. If Wei Wuxian had been ambushed and was all alone, it would mean instant doom and to Lan Qiren, that would be a dark spot on the entire cultivation world if a weapon less man was attacked and killed on the whim of a foolish man who did not even consider waiting until he could confirm his doubts.

Lan Wangji did not mind his family following him, the more people to protect his friend, the better. As they flew on their swords towards Qionqi Street, the uneasiness in his nerves crept up, he felt that it was taking too long for some reason, and he could not help but worry. Lan Xichen's calm demeanor faltered as he thought about everything that could have happened before they could reach their destination. To Lan Qiren the flight seemed too slow, the only thing on his mind was for Wei Wuxian to be alive until they arrived.

As they neared Qiongqi, Lan Xichen felt as if the temperature had suddenly dropped. He looked at his brother and Uncle for confirmation and their expressions told him that he wasn't the only one that felt this way. Lan Wangji was now becoming impatient, as soon as they reached the border he used his spiritual energy to land on a hill just above the  battle sight, he was ready to get Wangji and put everyone who dared to harm his friend in their places but even before he could pull his guqin out, he heard a clank and the temperature dropped furthur.

He turned around to see the bewildered expression of his Uncle and brother. He followed their gazes, preparing for the worst possible scene he could see but to his utter relief Wei Ying was still alive and breathing. In fact he looked like he was a dragon breathing fire, there was so much anger radiating from him. But he was safe and alive.

Once he had made sure that Wei Ying was fine, other things caught his attention, Jin Zixuan lying on the ground, unhurt, people frozen to their places and a blade, so thin just like his Bichen but even thinner, it actually looked like it was made of ice. So this is what his family was looking at, a blade so similar to Bichen.

"So cold", Lan Xichen mumbed, diverting his attention to the new information his brain registered that it was snowing.

"Mn, it is snowing.", Wangji responded.

"Wait...it's snowing in summer?"

"It indeed is.", whispered Lan Qiren.