28. Why?

When he woke up, Wei Wuxian looked around and found himself surrounded by the familiar scent of sandalwood but the person associated with it was nowhere in sight. His heart sank, he was a little disappointed that Lan Zhan wasn't there like the last time. He sulked and decided that he had to see Lan Zhan right then.

Making up his mind, he got out of bed but lost balance and fell back on the bed. He pouted thinking how disgraceful it was for the Yiling Patriarch to not even be able to stand on his own. "Such an inconvenience!", he scolded himself before trying to stand again, this time a lot slower than before and successfully doing so he stumbled on his own feet as he tried to walk but that didn't deter him. He continued and was out of the Jingshi in no time.

As soon as he walked out into the open, he noticed that the ground was covered in a thick layer of snow, and his mind was bewildered, "How long have I been out? Is it winter already?"

He continued walking further in hopes that he would find Lan Zhan soon because he could feel his legs slowly going numb but he really wanted to see Lan Zhan, "Perseverance is the key.", he kept chanting and willing himself to move forward. He didn't pay much heed to the weird looks he was getting from the disciples on the way, he really was used to it.

His steps faltered and embraced himself for a fall that never came, instead he landed in strong armsclad in white, "I am sorry, I was....", he hurriedly stepped back when he realized who it was that had caught him, "Grandmaster Lan.", he said, his eyes wide.

Lan Qiren cleared his throat, what he really wanted to do was roll his eyes. What was so shocking about it? Did this guy think that the Grandmaster of the Lans would just let someone fall face-first. Although he didn't really like people being in his proximity did not mean he was heartless. He sighed, maybe to Wei Wuxian, he was, but could the boy be blamed for it, it was his own doing.

" I see, you are up.", Wei Wuxian nodded at that still not looking at him in the eyes. Lan Qiren noticed that his former disciple looked restless and he was wearing only a thin layer of robes which wasn't enough to shield him from the cold. Though it was still autumn, the snow that had been falling recently because of a certain young lady had made the weather colder. Wei Wuxian was shivering slightly, but Lan Qiren could tell that the cold most probably wasn't the reason for the desperate look on his face. "Where are you going in such a hurry?", he asked taking off his own cloak and putting it over Wei Wuxian's shoulders.

Wei Wuxian seemed to be taken aback by this gesture as he opened and closed his mouth like a fish with no words coming out of it. "I....Thank you." He said, his silver eyes wandering around, "Lan Zhan-", he hesitated for a little while before he continued, "Lan Zhan wasn't there when I woke up. I-", he didn't know what else to say. It sounded ridiculous to his own ears, Lan Zhan wasn't his caretaker who was supposed to be with him until he woke up. He didn't even know how long it had been since he fell asleep.

Lan Qiren's heart clenched at how heart-broken the notorious patriarch sounded. "I'll just go back in.", he smiled turning around only to stop when he heard Lan Qiren's voice, "Wei Wuxian", he waited until the boy turned around to look at him, "Follow me.", Wei Wuxian nodded his head and did as he was told, but he really wanted to know how long it had been so he mustered up the courage and asked. Three days, was all the reply that he got from his teacher. He rejoiced at the fact that it hadn't really been that long and Lan Zhan didn't have to worry much. He figured the snow was Baixue's doing then.

Lan Qiren walked into the Lanshi with Wei Wuxian following behind him, Lan Xichen was already there, probably waiting for his Uncle. When his eyes landed on Wei Wuxian, his expression went from a patient smile to that of surprise, "Young Master Wei, you are awake.", Wei Wuxian only nodded. Lan Zhan wasn't here as well. He only wanted to see Lan Zhan but he couldn't possibly disobey Lan Qiren seeing that he was under his custody for now.