30.

When he stood up, Wei Wuxian swayed a little, immediately held up by a pair of strong arms. He concluded that after lying down straight for almost three days, his body had forgotten to stand up. "Such a pain!", he complained to himself.

"Lan Zhan, I am hungry.", he said in a whiny voice finally looking up at the golden eyes that belonged to the same pair of arms that were holding him up at the moment. "Mn. Let's get you something to eat then.", Lan Wangji said holding him even more tightly as he looked at his Uncle and Brother, silently asking for permission to head to the dining hall.

"It's already time for lunch, we can go together.", Lan Xichen proposed. Lan Wangji only nodded before turning around and going out the door with Wei Wuxian clinging to his side, his Uncle's cloak still wrapped around the younger's shoulder, which was clearly too big for him. Maybe aside from being hungry and weak, it was also the weight of that piece of clothing that didn't let Young Master Wei stand upright. Lan Xichen made a mental note of getting him new and warm clothes, that were more his size and suited to Gusu's weather before following the other four people heading for lunch.

Lan Qiren walked stiffly behind his nephew and his former student, as his mind kept playing the recent conversation he had had with Wei Wuxian, the boy clung to Wangji like his life depended on it and yet he had refused to be his cultivation partner. He couldn't help but ponder over the boy's word choices, though he hadn't accepted the proposal to get married to Wangji, he hadn't stated once that he didn't want to always saying that he can't be with Lan Zhan. Lan Qiren wondered what the reason for his refusal could be, was it what he had said before about being the son of a servant? Or maybe, because the world saw him as a heretic and Lan Wangji just seemed too pure of a person to him? Lan Qiren refrained from pulling his goatee in frustration, this little man's brain was way too complicated for him to decipher. He nodded in his head in satisfaction, little man, the name fit Wei Wuxian perfectly, in Lan Qiren's eyes, he was just a manchild, who wanted to be pampered and indulged by his nephew but like a brat refused to admit it. He was amazed at how fast the boy's mood changed, just a few minutes ago, he was adamant at pushing Wangji away and then there he was clinging to him like a moth to the flame, a duck to water, whining about how he was hungry. What even was going on inside his head? While he was still busy making sense of everything in his head, they were already seated at a table in the large dining hall where everyone had gathered for lunch.

It didn't go unnoticed that although Wei Wuxian had said that he was hungry, he was just playing with the food in his bowl, barely ever taking a bite yet again. "Is the food not to your liking?", Lan Qiren asked, his mind laced in concern and yet his words sounded harsh and indifferent. "That's not it.", Wei Wuxian replied instantly.

"Didn't you say you were hungry?", he tried again, "You haven't eaten in three days, does your stomach feel upset? If you don't like it, Wangji can take you to Caiyi later to have something that is more to your liking."

Wei Wuxian was stunned by the offer, since when was the old man so nice to him, he gave him his own cloak, approved his relationship with Lan Zhan, even though he himself hadn't agreed to it yet and was ready to let him go outside the Cloud Recesses? For eating out with Lan Zhan? Wei Wuxian pinched his own arm under the big cloak, only to confirm that he wasn't dreaming, because it sure felt like one.

"Grandmaster Lan, I am fine. I am grateful for the food here and also for your generous offer, it's not that I don't like it, I am just full.", he replied beaming.

"How can you be full with so little? You barely ate anything? Do I look like a fool to you? Are you trying to starve yourself? Is this one of your new tricks?", Lan Qiren's patience was slowly running out, he didn't even care about his own rules being broken and the several disciples staring at him.

Wei Wuxian gasped dramatically as his hand went up to cover his mouth, "Old Master Lan, why would you say that? How could I even?"

"You! Don't even think about getting up from this table before you have finished eating at least a bowl of rice and soup.", Lan Qiren said, going back to his own meal, acting like nothing happened.

"Lan Zhan!", Wei Wuxian whined again, "Look at your Uncle acting just like you. Do you guys think I am easy to order around?", he said childlishly.

"Speech is forbidden while eating.", was the only answer he received, somehow, Lan Zhan even sounded a little amused.

"Hey! He was speaking just now.", Wei Wuxian looked around the hall, but all he got were sympathetic and amused glances thrown his way. He guessed he didn't have a choice and started gulping down his food. But he wasn't lying though, he had really lost his appetite recently. When he was done eating half a bowl, he looked around the table as his eyes landed on Lan Xichen's amused face, he begged with his eyes for the Sect Leader to help him out but all he got was a smile that said, "I am cheering for you.", looking at Baixue wasn't any different, except that her face showed no sign of amusement, only a silent message to go for it. Wei Wuxian sighed, it looked like, there was no way out of it.

When he really couldn't go on, he said, "If I eat another bite, I am really going to throw up.", he said putting his chopsticks down and looking at Lan Qiren who only glared at him, "I take it back, Lan Zhan, he's acting even worse than you. What is it with you Lans?"

"Fine.", Lan Qiren said, "Then come to Lanshi with me."

All four youngsters followed him like a sheep herd. As soon as they were inside and the door was locked, Lan Qiren placed a silencing spell on the room and spoke looking at Wei Wuxian right in the eyes, "You! Wei Wuxian! It's alright if you don't want to eat. Don't eat then. Now, answer the questions I am going to ask you.", Wei Wuxian smiled at that, answering questions was what he was good at, he could do that. "Alright!", he chirped happily.

"None of us is going out of this room until you answer all my questions.", he said with a tone of finality.

"Wait why are we being held here? It doesn't have anything to do with us.", Lan Xichen complained to his Uncle, who in turn only glared at him, "Out of all the people here, aren't you the most nosy?"

"It's alright Zewu-Jun, it's just a few questions, trust me, we'll be out of here in no time.", Wei Wuxian spoke in a cheerful voice.

Lan Xichen seriously wondered, how a person could be so smart and so dumb at the same time, did this guy really think that his Uncle was going to ask him to answer questions like the ones he was asked in the classroom back then. Although it was the same room, the situation was already too different. He could only smile sympathetically. Who knew what was going to be the outcome of this charade? He only hoped that at the end of it all none of the two boys would be in pain.