Chapter 4- Attack of the Elderly

3rd POV ( Somewhere in the desert)

The Rust Bucket has stopped on a desert road, at an ice cream parlor. Ben, Jen, and Gwen are getting ice cream, while Grandpa Max is using the local ATM. A dirty red pickup truck pulls up to the same spot A big burly man walks up to Grandpa Max.

"Outta the way, 'Grandpa'. I got a major withdrawal to make!" the Burly Man yelled.

He shoves Max to the ground. Max looks up and sees a buck-toothed man in front of him smiling, who seems to be the other man's associate. In the parlor, the kids are choosing their ice cream. A frowning old man is serving them.

"What do you have that's non-fat with less than 3% sugar?" Gwen asks.

"Napkins! What about you, kids?" the Parlor Worker asked Ben and Jen. Before Jen can say what she wanted, a sound of a large chain cuts her off. She and Ben look out the window and see the burly man walking to the ATM with a chained metal hook.

"I'm about to go 'rocky road'!" Ben claimed. He runs out of the parlor and primes the the watch.

"So much for getting ice cream." Jen sighed.

Outside, the burly man digs the hook into the ATM and yells to his associate in the pickup. The buck-toothed man tries pumping the gas, but nothing happens. Suddenly, the wheel melts out of his hands and the entire dashboard forms into a black technorganic alien; Upgrade.

"Your cash request has been denied!" Upgrade tells them.

He merges with the entire pickup and kicks the man out the door. He forms back into himself. The burly man grabs the hook, swings it in the air and throws it at Upgrade. He lets the chain wrap around his arm and tugs hard, launching the man upwards into a pole. As he tries to get up, Grandpa Max Max puts his foot on his chest.

"Where do ya think you're going? Good work, Ben!" Grandpa Max praised.

"Oh yeah! I'm ready for anything! Bring it on! What's next?" Upgrade asked.

"We're headin' off to see your Aunt Vera for the weekend!" Grandpa Max tells him.

"Ugh, boring old Aunt Vera?! Nooooo!" Upgrade yelled. Later, the Rust Bucket continues to drive through the barren desert.

"I like Aunt Vera." Gwen tells Ben.

"So do I." Jen agreed.

"Duh! That's because you both act like you're a hundred years old!" Ben retorts.

"A hundred years old? At least we know how to act mature despite being pre-teens." Jen snapped.

"And don't complain about old people, doofus." Gwen added. The Rust Bucket finally enters Vera's retirement village. It drives past old folks' homes and some people out on the sidewalk.

"This is gonna be soooo boring! Their idea of excitement in this place is probably watching the grass grow." Ben complained.

An old man is climbing on his roof. He tries to reach his satellite, but starts slipping down. Instead of falling off, he makes an expert Olympic-level backflip off the roof and lands safely on the ground, just as the Rust Bucket passes by. Ben sees this.

"Woah! Did you see that?!" Ben asks Gwen and Jen, who are looking to window seeing old people.

"See what? The heat must be frying that pea-sized brain of yours." Gwen snarked as Ben frowned.

The Tennysons have arrived at Vera's. Ben is the first to step out. He holds his hand up against the glaring sun.

"Seriously, why do old people have to live where its soooo hot!" Ben whined.