Chapter 2 - Birthday (Part 2)

Arden's POV-

"Arden, my baby boy! You won't ever abandon me, right?"

A violet-haired woman smiled while feeding her child a vial of poison.

The boy, in response, closed his eyes and did not reply.

The child's name is Arden Everett Yuriana, and his mother's name is Rurahel. Since birth, his mother took advantage of his sick body and used it as a means to make him stay.

The woman put down the emptied vial and kissed her son's forehead.

"Don't worry, Arden. Mommy is just leaving to get a birthday present for you! I'll be back soon with your present, so just wait for me until then, okay?"

Without waiting for a reply, she stood up and walked out of the room, paying no attention to the coughs that racked the body of the boy she had left behind.

Arden kept his eyes closed, internally cursing at his sadistic mother who would do anything to make him sicker than he already was. His daily doses of poison were only the beginning, and he knew that when he woke up again, he would be subjected to more suffering.

Sure enough, after barely two hours, the door opened.

'It's mother's dog', Arden recognized. 'Elvis listens to mother without question'.

The man entered the room holding a tray.

'A bowl of soup made from poisonous plants, and...another vial of poison', Arden speculated.

The man placed the tray on the nightstand, then knelt down on one knee at Arden's bedside. Then, he gently tapped on the boy's shoulder, causing him to open his eyes.

"Lord Arden, it is time to eat breakfast. As always, we have medicinal soup. Would you prefer to be fed?"

Arden nodded, lacking the energy to do anything else. Elvis, his mother's dog, began to feed spoonful after spoonful of the dreaded soup. Once the bowl was emptied, he tilted Arden's head back and poured the vial of poison down his throat, just as he and Rurahel had done every day since Arden's birth. Then, he picked up the tray with the empty bowl and vial, and left the room silently, leaving Arden alone with a pain in his throat and an inexplicable sense of helplessness. He wondered if he would leave his home and his sadistic guardian.

[367 words)