Chapter 21 - Stress (Part 2)

Arden's POV-

Arden sat in front of an ornate desk, holding a small pen customized to suit his small frame. Books and papers were sprawled all over the desk, and it was clear that he was busy engaging in his studies.

Beside him sat Alec, who fussed over the boy like a mother hen. He carefully wiped away the drops of blood dripping down the boy's nose with unmatched concern.

"Arden, please stop studying. You're only going to harm your body if you continue like this."

In response, Arden shook his head. His voice when he responded was no more than a whisper.

"Arien and Arjen are studying more than me. I don't want to be left behind."

He continued writing, ignoring the quivering of his hands as he wrote, with Alec sitting helplessly at his side.

They continued on in uncomfortable silence, until the pen stilled and the small boy slowly began to tilt to the side. Alarmed, Alec caught the collapsing boy gently in his arms, grimacing when the trail of blood beneath Arden's nose stained his crisp white shirt.

"I'm fine...I think I'm done studying for today."

The boy quickly sat up and closed his notebook, his brother helping to clean up the desk.

Alec seemed relieved, and he extended his hand toward the smaller boy once the mess was cleaned up.

"Should we go to the garden again? I heard Arien and Arjen have been sneaking away from their studies to play outside. It would be quite entertaining to catch them red-handed, wouldn't it?"

Arden smiled, amused. Then, he nodded gently, taking the hand of his older brother, who promptly lifted him up.

[266 words]