Chapter 10 - Turning Point (Part 3)

Arien and Arjen's POV-

It is now the next day. Beautiful ruby eyes came into view as Arien opened them. Beside her was her brother, who was holding onto her hand and waiting for her to awaken.

'Where?', Arien thought. The bed she laid on felt much more comfortable than the one in her and Arjen's shared room.

"Are you awake now, Arien?"

A gentle voice disturbed Arien from her thoughts. It was followed by a face with soft features and a mop of blonde hair.

Arien quickly sat up.

"Arjen? Yesterday, what...huh?"

She stopped mid-sentence to look around the enormous room. The furniture was decorated with gold accents and ornate carvings. She grabbed the blanket she was sleeping on.

"Even the blanket is fancy..."

Then, she looked up at her brother, who had obvious dark circles beneath his eyes.

"Also, you look very tired. Did you sleep at all?"

The boy rubbed his eyes sluggishly.

"I...I couldn't sleep..."

Arien tilted her head confusedly.

"Why not?"

"I was scared the emperor would do something to us..."

Arien jolted, as a realization suddenly occurred in her head.

"Then...this place is-"

Just then, the door opened, and several maids entered the room. One of them stepped forward and introduced herself to a flabbergasted Arien and Arjen.

"Greetings, your royal highnesses. I am Ishina, the head maid of Syviolla Castle. We'll be serving your royal highnesses henceforth. We're at your service"

Arien and Arjen looked at each other and spoke telepathically.

'Did she just say 'serving'?'

'They did say serving'.

Receiving no reply from the princess and prince, Ishina continued.

"Yesterday, your royal highnesses lost consciousness, so we were unable to bathe you or change your clothes. Please forgive us".

She bowed apologetically, causing Arien and Arjen to tense up subconsciously.

'Why is she bowing to illegitimate children like us?'

Ishina didn't seem to notice.

"Please allow us to help you clean up before breakfast is served. Warm water, clean towels, and new clothes have all been prepared for you."

After Ishina said that, the four maids behind her stepped forward and picked up Arien and Arjen, guiding them to the bowls filled with warm water.

"We shall assist you with washing up."

The maids attempted to roll up the sleeves of the prince, but were frozen in shock when they saw the scars that littered his skin.

Arien ran toward her brother and pulled down his sleeve.

"W-wait a second!"

Audible gasps filled the room, as the siblings clung to each other protectively.

The scars inflicted by Rurahel couldn't be healed even with the royal healing ability of the imperial family.

The maids whispered among themselves.

"Dreadful..."

"What is that on a royal's body?"

"Don't they have royal healing abilities?"

The maids talked disrespectfully, as if they were not in the presence of the royal family. Finally, Ishina spoke up and scolded the ill-mannered maids.

"You insolent beings! How could you speak with such manners!"

The maids quickly apologized, and Ishina turned to the shivering children.

"I never imagined that you would have scars on your body. Please be assured, I shall make sure they keep quiet."

Before Arien and Arjen could thank her, Ishina continued.

"But please do not inform his imperial majesty regarding this matter. If he finds that you have such flaws, your worth as royals will decrease."

'Worth as royals? I'm sure Arden would be hailed as the most valued of us once again...'

'Arjen! He can't control it! Besides, we promised to protect him, remember?'

While Arien and Arjen were distracted, Ishina continued her monologue.

"You shall be receiving an education befitting of royals, taught by the most respective of teachers who have taught all the royals before you."

"Everything you have received is due to his majesty's mercy to have raised you as royals. Therefore, you should adjust to royal customs and repay his majesty's kindness of taking you in as his children".

Arien was baffled but also curious.

"What about Arden...? Does he also have to study and adjust to royal customs?"

"His royal highness the fifth prince will temporarily be exempted from his studies until he recovers his health."

Arien nodded, but was still upset by how her worth was measured. She clenched her fist.

Suddenly, the door was opened, followed by a butler.

"A message to your royal highnesses."

Ishina followed him out to receive the message and returned shortly after. She then shouted an order to the maids.

"Make sure to provide them with better clothes for the maids".

The maids bowed.

"Yes, Ms. Ishina."

Then, Ishina approached the two.

"His majesty has invited you to dine in the afternoon. Their royal highnesses second prince and the fifth prince will also be there."

'There's nothing wrong with my hearing, right?'

'I don't think so...I heard the same thing...'

[744 words]