Chapter 22 - Stress (Part 3)

Arien and Arjen's POV-

Arien and Arjen attempted to walk around while balancing books on their heads. Yes, books. The siblings are currently studying royal etiquette with their tutor, who looked down at them with barely masked contempt. It seemed as if their tutor was trying to find a reason to scold them.

She did not have to wait long.

Arien and Arjen knew that the only way for the book to remain on their heads was to remain perfectly balanced or, in other words, glide. However, it is easier said than done. They took one clumsy step, then staggered with the books falling off their heads.

Their tutor hid her face behind a red fan, as she mumbled her harsh evaluation of the children.

"Terrible. They're mixed with commoner's blood and can't even undergo manifestation. What's the use of teaching these two?"

She took a breath.

"Fortunately, the fifth prince is doing incredibly well, else I would have vacated my job."

The twins looked at her in disbelief.

'You know we can hear you, right?'

As if she finally noticed the pair's gazes, she smiled pretentiously.

"Oh my! Our imperial prince and princess, you're doing so well~"

They experienced the same treatment in their imperial language class...

"First princess and fourth prince, you're incorrect again. Hah...it's shocking how you made such a foolish mistake with this word when the fifth prince could understand it perfectly."

...and in economic studies class...

"I had hoped they were as intelligent as the fifth prince. Hah...I fear for the future of our country should it fall into your hands...never mind, I was just talking to myself..."

...and all of their other classes.

The entire day was spent hearing praises about their youngest brother and ridicules about how unintelligent the two were in contrast.

Then, as if it was a dream come true, break time came. The two lounged in their room as they lamented about the scorn they faced with their tutors.

"A daily routine of constantly being scorned..."

"It's frustrating how Arden is always so well liked regardless of where he lives."

"Mhm...The tutors all praised him and looked down on us. It's as if he is effortlessly likable."

They stopped thinking about their youngest brother, as it made them green with envy. Instead, they recalled what Alec had said.

'As long as you're acknowledged by father as members of the imperial family, you are also the owners of this place. There will be more weight on your shoulders than before but...'

'When he said weight, did he mean this?'

They contemplated for a moment, before Arjen broke the silence.

"Arien...Let's go out. We can't waste our break like this. The weather is really nice today, so we might as well play in the garden."

Arien sighed.

"What's the point of going outside? We can't even play comfortably when the servants follow us every second of the day."

Despite begging them to reduce the number of servants, it was only reduced from six to four.

"The weather is really nice...but we're probably not allowed to do that."

She looked out the window longingly and saw two of their brothers enjoying themselves in the garden.

Simultaneously, Arjen turned to the door to discover that the servants had disappeared.

"Arien! I don't see the servants!"

They turned to the door, and, sure enough, the servants were no longer standing there. They had vanished as if they never existed, leaving the twins bemused but excited at the same time.

Did they really leave? Where did everyone go?

[559 words]