Chapter 18 - A Realization (Part 5)

Arien and Arjen's POV-

After hearing Alec's statement, Arien and Arjen looked at each other.

'Pure bloods?'

'Now that I think about it, the servants said something similar earlier.'

After a brief discussion, Arien and Arjen made up their minds and decided to voice their confusion in order to satisfy their curiosity. Arien mustered her courage and turned to face their second eldest brother and their youngest, who was looking at them with a sense of longing.

"Um...what does pureblood mean...?"

Glad that the duo was finally talking to him, Alec let out a small smile.

"Are you interested?"

He then asked a question.

"Do you know what the imperial family is called?"

In Alec's arms, Arden chimed in.

"The Family Blessed by God..."

Across, Arien and Arjen looked at each other in confusion once again. They knew the answer since Rurahel had mentioned it briefly while she was drunk, but they could not think of a reason as to how Arden knew if he remained in bed for the majority of his life.

Fortunately, their perplexity was soon noticed by their youngest brother, who gave a small nod and moved to resolve their puzzlement.

"I heard mother say it once when she was drunk..."

Sensing the awkwardness in the situation, Alec quickly resumed his lesson.

"That's right, Arden. Since you three are illegitimate children, your healing abilities are bound to be weaker. You won't experience 'manifestation' either."

"Manifestation?"

'That's right! Manifestation! That's why the second prince has a mature appearance despite being only ten years old!'

Before their teens, members of the imperial family experience a growth known as 'Manifestation'. After they go through manifestation, they will have an adult body unlike other children of their age.

If they undergo manifestation at three years old, their body would appear to be eighteen years old, and they won't grow until their real age is eighteen years old. Their body would then resume its growth at nineteen years old.

And, because the imperial family is said to be blessed by God, members of the imperial family stop growing at the age of thirty!

'This must be why Rurahel wanted the imperial family's pure blood'

'But we didn't have a manifestation.'

'Then...we'll only be able to leave this body in a few years. Like a regular person.'

Arien was deep in thought, to the extent that she didn't notice that Alec had approached her once again.

"I'm sorry that I hurt you. Would you allow me to heal it?"

Noticing her reluctance, he quickly added,

"I swear I'll only heal it."

Arien nodded after considering, and Alec thanked her for trusting him.

Holding Arden with one hand, he took Arien's palm gently.

"Then, please excuse me."

Arien's palm began to glow softly. The glow expanded slowly as the prince whispered something under his breath, until it stopped and disappeared. In its place was Arien's palm, unscathed.

"All done. It doesn't help anymore, right?"

"Yes..."

'I thought he would use medicine and bandages to heal it. Instead, he did it with magic...As expected of the imperial family.'

"Arien...those injuries...Could you tell me who did it?"

When the girl remained silent, Alec's expression became desperate.

"Please, I beg you."

Finally, Arden responded in Arien's stead.

"It was mother who did it."

Arien nodded.

"And some of the servants."

She took a breath.

"Did you not know about us?"

Alec's response left her disappointed.

"...I knew of your existence. It was just that I wasn't interested..."

Arien gripped her dress resentfully.

'I knew it. Everyone knew about us but neglected us anyway.'

Sensing her sour mood, Alec quickly moved to correct himself.

"But I didn't know you were this small and covered in scars. I also didn't expect Arden to be so sick. Typically, members of the imperial family are strong and are usually already teenagers by the time they reach five years old..."

'We never wanted these tiny bodies. We didn't want to be members of the imperial family either.'

She clenched her dress even more harshly than before, with her head tilted forward and her hair masking her expression.

[636 words]