Chapter 1: The First Step

Day 7,117 

Orange sunlight set itself against the breathtaking imperial guardian lions at the opposite side of the doors, alerting the guards that it was past noon. All royal guards on duty rushed to open the gates to welcome the return of generals who had set out to their respective duties. Within the castle grounds, several maids were hovering across the kitchen to prepare biscuits, cakes, and delicacies for evening tea. Clashing weapons began to cease at the Southern wing as they bowed at the prince's presence who dashed across the training grounds as if being chased by their legendary enemy, Yin Taotie. From afar, the old scholar yelled in broken breaths, palms on his chest and long white beard to soothe his raging fire but retreated his steps when he heard the sound of blaring horns from the outside of the castle.

"Brisk walks, my prince. Brisk walks," said the floating scholar, chasing after the prince on behalf of his junior. "My prince, no running in the castle grounds, please. It's the first etiquette for all royal members. How many times do we have to tell you? Prince Haoran, brisk walks."

Casting a side eye to the transparent scholar, he kept darting forward, pushing his way past the maids who carried large laundry baskets from his father's chambers. He was careful, making sure he did not disrupt their daily chores, dropping rushed apologies when he failed to avoid some of them. Haoran swore he could hear the spirit panting in disguise to earn him sympathy, yet he did not cease his little runs. He lifted the long robe, skipping over the stairs. His eyes darted to the flock of birds that flew higher into the skies and proceeded to land on the rooftops of the castle. It was when he reached the front of the grounds, he climbed up the stairs to see the herd of horses approaching the royal grounds.

Scholar Tang sat by the parapet, planting his palms on his thighs, sighing in relief. "Prince Haoran, are you planning to send me to my death again, even when I am buried a thousand feet underground?"

"I apologize for my sudden behaviour, Uncle Tang. Yes, it is not a proper behaviour especially when I am near my twenties, now, but I need to," muttered Haoran slowly as his voice slowly dispersed among the sound of villagers yelling at the return of the royal generals.

The questioning sight of the royal guards did not go unnoticed by Haoran when their eyes met. He merely bowed, clearing his throat as he sneered at Uncle Tang's tease. Sighing, Haoran crossed his palms behind his back. With his adrenaline pumping through his veins from the excitement, he had let slip his behaviour of speaking openly to the beings from the opposite reality. He still remembered the first being he met from the other reality. Haoran shivered at the memory, a dangling eyeball with his intestines hanging out. Only when Uncle Tang confirmed his so-called special abilities was Haoran determined to be a scholar instead of setting in the footsteps of his mother, uncle, and father.

Haoran saw it as a curse mostly instead of a gift but the royal shaman assured his parents that this peculiar potential could be the ultimate turning point of their imperial. A golden rise, she said. At least, his family members took it seriously even though Haoran felt it was just the shaman's technique of pushing his way through the higher hierarchy - for more wages.

Horses galloped steadily into the castle grounds. They seemed deprived of energy and rest. Haoran wished some soldiers cared for the horses more like his uncle. His uncle had been the kindest he had ever known, except during battle. He was taught that regardless of whether humans or animals they should be treated equally for in a battle, one depended on the other for survival.

"Looks like General Cui, brought home visitors. Old friends and new," spoke Uncle Tang proudly, waving eagerly, and continued. "You might not be able to see them since you were blessed to see the beauty of the spiritual world unlike those like me who have set off to the passing route."