Chapter 8: Exchanges

Day 10,395

A friend can never remain a friend. Haoran knew it well enough. Was it deserving to label him as a friend? Pushing the stacks of scrolls away from the table, Haoran laid his head on the map, tapping his finger at the next district in mind. Haoran was glad that he was left alone with the sound of wind chimes accompanying him. The mornings had been so busy for him that every night became his nightmare. He did not need any assistance or companionship. It was a norm for the past months as he rode out weekly to different districts searching for the murderers. Even that did not satisfy him. Haoran went to the extremes to where he took part in certain major cases of the districts. Just yesterday, he managed to execute three prisoners who murdered their neighbours for fun. Haoran chuckled at the thought as he stared at the map again. One last district to scour.

For the past months, he left the palace searching for the An family. Haoran needed to search for them high and low. There was news that they dispersed to different places after knowing that Haoran was hunting them down. Gritting his teeth, dissatisfaction bubbled in his chest at the thought of murderers running freely in the world. In his empire. Haoran knew they dared not leave this empire for the opposite kingdom, the lands of his in-laws had offered a huge bounty on the An family's heads. Haoran, on the other hand, suggested the opposite to his father. They will not provide a warrant. Haoran will personally hunt them down district by district. Besides, he had made different deals with the spirits in exchange for news. News that was only limited to his ears.

"We found trails of the An family members," the lady spoke, appearing next to Haoran just as the sunset. "They were escaping using the forest lanes and will be camping in the hills tonight. Now, will you grant me a chance to meet my dead husband?"

"As promised," Haoran smiled as he stood up from his seat. "I do not go back on my words, and if that is what I promised you, I will definitely fulfill it. One more question, did you see any souls together with them?"

"Not any that I saw. But, they brought ritual supplies, so it is possible that they have access to the spiritual world once they settled down for dinner," she assured, watching eagerly as Haoran opened a chest from the table and produced a bottle of shimmering dust. "This is a trade for your help. Pour it by the river where your husband was murdered. It should be enough for you to meet him three times. I hope it eases your aching heart."

"Pang Haoran, you know if you were among us, I would have picked you to marry," she grinned, accepting the gift. "I hope we can be in service again. See you on the battlefield."

Nodding at her words, he stood by the door, watching her disappear. The moon had risen, signalling that it was time to attend himself to an invited battle. Haoran rarely involved himself in such matters, but this was impossible to neglect. He was interested, to be honest. Someone in the district stood up to challenge him, saying that he was too violent to be the next emperor. That his laws were wrong. Haoran picked the nearest glass, tossed it to the wall, and smiled in satisfaction as it shattered. How dare they dictate his life? Not even the emperor had said anything about his choices. So, who were these people to say anything? How dared they? Haoran growled as he lowered himself to the ground, covering his head with his palms. They knew nothing of what he went through and what he did to obtain his mother's and uncle's dead body.

Day 9,445

Stopping by the opening of the hills, Haoran set his horse aside. The place was lit with floating fires at the side. Walking past the tunnels, Haoran heard those unknown chants from the inside. Unsheathing the sword, Haoran gripped the hilt tightly, ready to strike anything that come before him. His heart beat against his chest so quickly that he could barely make out the kind of chants they were using. Haoran knew it was nothing angelic but evil. Making sure his steps were light as he set them on each stone, he took a glance at the side when he felt a breeze across his face.