Chapter 6: The Mass

Day 9,444

Red and orange lanterns hung tight above the halls and several cherry blossom flowers were arranged neatly in the vase. Dancers were busy doing their last rehearsal before their formal make-ups. Haoran stood by the dancing halls' door to admire the dancers' gracefulness. It was enough for the ladies to show off their beauties through dance that Haoran did not understand why they needed such heavily powdered make-up. His thoughts exploded into thin air when the eldest lady, Lady of Elegance lost her temper at one of the mistakes made by the dancers. He would have interfered, to ask her to just chill, but right at this very last minute, Haoran did not want to add fire to the pouring gasoline.

"I told her to leave the group a month ago," Yi Qing spoke, alerting Haoran that he was being watched and she brushed his hair to the side when the wind blew. "Mother would be furious if Rao Yuan is in her early month of pregnancy. Mother is stubborn. She is stubborn. I guess even us dancers have our level of hard-headedness. Why are you still in your usual robes?"

"I am escaping the maidens as you can see. They are getting a little too attentive to every decoration on my clothing, and my hair, and as much as I appreciate and love being pampered," Haoran sighed, looking at Yi Qing. "I need some peace today, da jie. They have been prattling about the suitable color, and the best accessories since yesterday. How did you bear their excitement?"

"I can because I want to look best everywhere I go and, especially today, when I am getting betrothed to my beloved. I don't want to look simple. I want to look dazzling, just like our mothers on their wedding day. Though, none of us can be compared to your mother's charm during her marriage," Yi Qing sickered, poking Haoran's nose. "I am betting that when it is your turn, you will be the best groom any ladies could get."

"I am honored, but let's not talk about me. Let's talk about you. Today is your day. How do you feel about dancing for your husband and their family members later?" Haoran questioned, watching as the dancers gathered for one last rehearsal.

"It will be the first time for his family, but not my husband. He saw me dancing several times during my practice since he could not keep his little feet away from my dancing halls. He's a sneaky one, so don't give him credit for being a know-it-all," Yi Qing answered, studying her little brother. "I am so happy to see that you are feeling better. Do you still see them around?"

Haoran sucked in the air around him, leaning his head by the door frame. He nodded. It was enough to let his sister know that everything that happened still took a toll on him. Haoran did not mind the spiritual world's ugly side, but some were too demanding. It was one of the reasons why they remained where they were instead of being able to move on to the afterlife. They left the world with not just hate, but greed and selfishness. However, there was one spirit that he could not quite put his finger on. Every night it would sit by his door, knocking on it six times, and began howling. It wouldn't be a bother if it did not leave traces of unreadable words in the form of soil by his door. Scholar Tang reminded him not to be involved, considering how none of the spirits recognized him. Needless to say, he was an outcast here in the castle.

"I still do," sighed Haoran. "It's getting better now that I am accustomed to all of them who are living here. Now, I am not the main attraction today. You are. So, let's turn the arrow back to you. How do you feel?"

"Thrilled, excited. I'm happy that we are finally holding a real ceremony. Your brother-in-law is always sneaking into my palace when he is around. Mother doesn't mind, but if the Emperor caught him," Yi Qing chuckled followed by Haoran who whistled. "You and I both know this ceremony is off. Don't even talk about marriage. I might need to find another suitor."

"Tragedy for the first ever soon-to-be brother-in-law," laughed Haoran as he saw Lady Xueyi dismissing the dancers and heading toward them. "That's my cue to leave. You still have a lot to prepare. I will see you later during the ceremony, da jie."