Chapter 3: Realization

Day 7,139

Some warnings had no meaning. Or so we thought.

That was what Haoran understood when his days went unbothered as he continued to visit Ailun and his village by the hills. The atmosphere there was rather comforting, distracting him from the hustle and bustle of the castle. No one disrupted his lone time. None peek from the windows of his private studies. Haoran had traveled back and forth for the past few days to visit his new friend. Ailun taught him about their ways of life. Unlike the castle's busy life, theirs was carefree. Today would be a little special for Haoran since he was granted permission by his father to live with Ailun for the next two to three days, depending on which he preferred. To say he was thrilled would be an understatement.

"Haoran!" exclaimed Ailun when he saw Haoran stepping into the compound of his settlement. "So glad to have you here! Please come in. We made some fresh dumplings. Did you get the permission to stay over these couple of days?"

"Definitely. Or else, I would not be here. These are for you and your family," spoke Haoran, handing Ailun the bags. "Medicine, cookies, and fresh delicacies, including some long-term herbs. I hope it helps your mother and just in case of any other emergencies. Which I hope would not arrive at your doorsteps again."

Their waves of laughter burst through the doors as both the boys set the items in the dining room. Fresh flowers were placed in the middle of the table as decorations. Haoran could not help but admire the arrangements made. It was special, in a way. Somehow, Haoran swore he saw the tiny sparkles of dust as if there was a dome to protect the flowers from the outside world. It could be his imagination since Ailun's aunt told him that they were purchased freshly from the market daily. Shaking those thoughts away, Haoran followed Ailun to the bedroom at the edge of the home.

Ailun stepped in first, showing off the herbs Haoran had brought. Letting the mother and son bond for some time, Haoran took a peak out of the windows by the kitchen and waved at the other lady who seemed to be gardening. Seeds were placed into the soil carefully. Next to them, fresh tomatoes and tea were planted together. Haoran sat by the window, admiring the care and attention Ailun's aunt had placed in ensuring the plants grew healthily.

"Haoran!" Ailun yelled, continuing with giggles. "Come in."

Detaching himself from the beautiful sight, Haoran stepped into the bedroom. He bowed with respect upon seeing Ailun's mother. Compared to the past few days, she got better. Her skin color was getting brighter, and her cheeks were rosier. The color on her lips was getting darker. Even the scars on her neck and wrists were disappearing. It was a good sign. A wonderful sign that Ailun's wishes would soon come true. That his friend would be able to venture out to the markets and the world with his mother just like they did before. Haoran heard stories regarding their travels, times when they visited the opposite kingdoms to enjoy the beautiful places. He was informed that they went there to seek medical attention. Now, both Ailun and his mother can enjoy their adventures freely. As Ailun's mother sat up, he took a seat by the chair close to the bed.

"We owe you a lot, Haoran, and thank you for making my wounds better so that I can enjoy my days with my son," said Ailun's mother, ruffling her son's hair happily. "Let me treat you to some home-cooked and our traditional meals these few days. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Ailun while I prepare, you can bring him around our village. Why don't you go have fun with Ailun later, Haoran?"

"Thank you, Ms. I appreciate your offer. I am glad to hear that you are getting better," replied Haoran, watching Ailun, who had an excited and curious smile plastered on his lips. "I brought some herbs that could help your body replenish its energy. I hope it will be of great help."