Chapter 2: Discoveries

Day 7,118

Even before the rooster rose from its barn, and when the sky was in its slumber, Haoran was already packing his necessities. His sneaky fingers and feet managed to be an accomplice in kidnapping a bun from the steamers in the kitchen. At such an early hour, Haoran refused to be the centre of attention from the castle maidens and cooks as he knew well that they would rush to assist him. It would be a lie if he said he wasn't spoilt. He was indeed spoiled since birth not just by his parents, but everyone in the castle since he is the one and only prince of the current Pang Empire. Everyone in the castle knew that should any misfortunes befall the king, he would be the one next in line. And, deep down Haoran was aware that it was not something to be proud of.

With fame, responsibilities pile up and the weight will only grow.

As he took a bite of the lotus paste bun, he strode across the gardens which reminded him of the freedom he had when he was just four. No worries about officials degrading his skills or generals that might belittle him for his sword skills. Well, if he was to tell a tale, no one would listen except for his sisters who always loved hearing his stories regardless of how silly they were. He was glad he took the time to bid them a tiny farewell last since they were all preoccupied with their respective classes in the morning. Finding the familiar path to his mother's special peach tree, Haoran smiled at the pictures being etched onto its bark and the tree did a great job by loyally carrying the stories for decades.

Haoran did not take a long time to spot his mother in her most elegant outfit where light yellow and orange silk outshone the falling leaves. Jet black embroideries were seen adorned in an orderly fashion by the sleeves of her attire, making her skin glow. Next to her was his one and only uncle who was in the most modest hanfu he had ever worn in the castle. It struck him at that moment that Haoran rarely saw him in regular clothing since he always returned with heavy armouries due to his duties or even general uniforms stained with specks of dust and sands of the cities. It made his Uncle Jingyi look more appealing in hanfus. A rare sight indeed.

"Did you bring your knives? Money?" questioned Jingyi as Haoran was twirled like a new toy being picked off its designated shelves. "Good choice of outfit. Plain. Lack of royal patterns and no royal jade or any outstanding accessories. I don't want you standing out when you are in the village, do you understand me, Haoran?"

"Yes, General Hao," saluted Haoran and continued. "I will do as told and lay low among the villagers. Just like you taught me."

Haoran straightened his back when his uncle tapped on his shoulders. A soft whine escaped his lips when Jingyi ruffled his neatly combed hair. Laughing, Haoran sank into his mother's embrace to thank her for agreeing to allow him further explorations of the outside world. Ever since he was a child, he had little knowledge about the outside world for even when he traveled with the king to the opposite kingdom, the guards preferred to use shortcuts to prevent unwanted attention. Royal generals surrounded the carriage to prevent mishaps and to protect their safety.

The old memory of riots did not go unnoticed. Back then, he was too young to understand what was going on, but through royal gatherings and discussions, Haoran got a grasp and idea of all current and latest information. Sometimes, Haoran was aware that the officials mentioned that his father did not do much to help the citizens, but deep down from the core of his soul, Haoran knew by rote that his parents cared about the citizens more than anyone. According to the accounts, the royal palace contributed a lot to the people and cared a lot for their welfare. There must be some hidden agendas beyond these castle walls and royal courts. Haoran had his suspicions, and this was the perfect chance for him to inspect.

Once he bid his farewells to his mother, Haoran exited the Cui Palace accompanied by Scholar Tang who floated gracefully by his side, tossing him extra history lessons of some nearby villages. The West focused more on agriculture while the South was concentrated on seas that led them to fisheries. Some had mixed business, focusing more on trading from different kingdoms. Scholar Tang's gestures were almost blinded by the sunlight, making him like a camouflage. He taught him some routes that would lead to hidden villages and also spots where some government officials would be residing for external royal duties.