Chapter 5: Ritual

Day 8,568

The crystals clanked against one other as Aihan sharpened one of the emeralds diligently, ensuring they were all in fine pieces. A smug smile plastered against her lips as she scooped some unearthly specks of dust from the pastel container. She proceeded with her usual routine of dicing the round onions, ensuring that they were in perfect pieces so that they would cook evenly. Another night went by with more answers in her mind as she smashed the cooked piece of chicken, sprinkling more of the additional recipe for enjoyment. This was nearly the fifth time Haoran stayed over, and Aihan was getting more than she needed. Everything was perfect and in order. All in line.

"You're getting some nasty thoughts in your mind again Aihan?" the lady questioned, standing by the door with her arms crossed. "An Aihan, I taught you better than to get back at someone with these pathetic attitudes. What is all this nonsense that is making me famished? It's over dinner time."

"I would not call this nonsense, ah-ma. You knew what exactly I have been through for the past decades, and you, of all people, think this is pathetic?" Aihan scoffed, tossing the knife at the edge of the sink as her eyes grew dark and her eyebrows furrowed. "Ah-ma, is this how you treat your daughter?"

"Aihan! That boy is just a child. What is the point of getting back at your enemy using an innocent child who saved you? I am pretty sure he could choose to ignore, instead, he helped Ailun and in the process, saved your life," the lady spoke truthfully. "How can you be so ungrateful?"

Gripping her palms tightly by the edge of the sink, Aihan gritted her teeth as she watched Haoran teaching Aihan how to read the stars in the skies. Her methods worked, and she began to discover Haoran's background, who he was, and the power he held in his systems. Even though there was no harm done to the boy, Aihan needed something more. Something more than just a cough or a flue. Something sickening. She needed Haoran's pain to inflict it on someone else who deserved it more. Ignoring her mother's blabbers, Aihan tossed the cubes of chicken into the boiling pot of water. Not feeling guilty, she ushered her mother out of the space and proceeded to prepare the perfect dinner.

Dinner went as planned. Everything was polished from the table. The boys were already engulfing the pecan pie she prepared, praising the exquisite taste. Haoran for one had been the most joyous one at the table. Aihan smiled at the sight. It had been some time since she had guests. One, the people in these hills don't exactly welcome anonymous individuals, and two, someone of royal blood is always forbidden from entering these sacred hills. If only Haoran knew that, Aihan was certain he would steer off the coast he had been curious about. Aihan got it figured out that Haoran considered them harmless. Everything was running in line with Aihan's plans. Someone's sympathy for her finally becomes the ultimate weapon for all her preplanned anger.

She had to admit, it was impeccable. Even all her prayers were answered as the response was delivered right to her doorstep. When she knew Haoran was a prince, and who his parents were, Aihan was so thrilled. Her prayers were answered after almost four decades. Every night she watched Haoran asleep from the outside of his door. The prince was the same age as Ailun. Perhaps, allowing them to be friends would be a great advantage for her plans. Everything is aligning. All she needed to do was feed the boy, showering him with lots of love through her food, and then everything would work out. It would look like an accident. Some sort of evil sickness.

For the next weeks, Aihan kept monitoring the child. As her health grew stronger with the medicines Haoran had willingly brought for her, she could see the deterioration in his. He tried hiding it from Ailun, brushing it away as a mere cold, but Aihan knew - her plans were working just fine. Every night she got a clearer peek at the prince's lifestyle for her assurance via magic. The satisfaction bustled in every inch of her veins every time she saw him helpless against the dark spirits. Sure, it shocked her once in a while when she encountered the spirits via Haoran's sight. It was also through that she discovered that the prince had a special ability she could manipulate. Aihan could only squeal at her findings. Revenge has fallen into a pot of sweet melted candies for her to slurp and enjoy.