Ch.3- Too Much To Handle

Narrator's POV

Emily was sat up in her bed with a book in her hands but all she kept thinking about was Alison and her confession about where she had been staying. After she told her that, Alison claimed she had to go "deal with something" before she settled back in Rosewood. Emily knew something was up but she didn't want to push anything else out of the girl that would cause her to reconsider staying.

She didn't know how long Alison was gonna be gone and she couldn't even call her to find out. After she left, 3 years ago, she changed her phone number probably because everyone who had her number kept calling to find out where she was.

Last night, Alison's prescence felt so real to Emily but she still wasn't completely sure if it was one her fantasies where she's promised to stay again. But hopefully she would come back tonight and prove her wrong. Emily walked into the living room but the smell of bacon lure djer into the kitchen. "Morning", Sara said as she handed her a plate.

Emily was still a little salty about Sara's speech last night so she just said a simple, "Hey."

"You ok?" Sara asked, despite knowing completely what was wrong.

"Yea sure. Thanks for cooking, I know I always make the breakfast, I guess I just overslept", she answered still being sweet, probably because Sara was paying the other half of her rent.

The blonde shook her head and smiled, "Nonsense. Change is good. I like change."

"Okkk", Emily said wondering why Sara was being so weird. It was as if she read her mind and asked, "Am I being weird?" The brown haired girl smiled and said, "A little."

"Sorry. Its just with yesterday and my little speech about...you know", Sara stopped herself. "Um no, yea I do know. Its nothing to be weird about. You were just looking out for me I guess. I know I wasn't very responsive, I was just a little shocked at how upset you got", Emily explained.

Sara made a face and said, "I wasn't...I wasn't upset." "Yea you kind of were. But its ok..."

"No I wasn't upset Emily. I was just telling you how it was. Why would I have been upset. There's no reason to be upset about any of this", Sara tried reasoning. "Look, your getting upset right now", Emily told her.

"I am not!" Sara defended. "You know what, forget it. Thanks for the breakfast but I have to go", Emily said angrily. Sara said nothing but watched as Emily made her way out of the apartment. After she left, Sara began to tear up. When she spoke to Emily last night, she told her that she had to move on like she did. She didn't know if she was trying to convince Emily that she moved on or herself. Sara knew that if Emily kept it up with this Alison crap, that she would never have another chance with her. She needed to make sure Emily got over her..fast.
-------------------------------------------

Emily pulled up to Spencer's house. She noticed some movement in the backyard but Spencer wasn't home yet so that was odd. She opened her trunk and took out a bat, yes a bat. Walking around the house, bat in hand, Emily took slow steps. Once she got to where the noise was coming from she screamed, "I swear I will call he police!!"

"But I am the police", a male voice said. "Toby", Emily breathed out, relieved. "What's with the bat?" the handsome older boy asked. Emily looked down at the bat and said, "Well Spencer invited me over but I knew she wasn't home so I thought you were some creep."

"Ah, I get that all the time", Toby said only half joking. "I forgot you guys moved in together. Why'd you stay back? Usually you two are inseparable."

"Well this backyard needs...A LOT of work and I decided to help us both", the tall boy responded.

"Oh", was all she said. There was a moment of silence before Toby asked, "So how's it going with your roomate.?"