(10) Dinner

JOHN POV

"That a very big pyramid you've built." Asher's voice almost makes me drop the cup I was trying to place on the pyramid I've made. At first I made just a singular wall of cups but I decided to make a pyramid. I made the base of it extra big and I am now standing, trying to slowly place the cups in the right spot so it won't fall down.

"I'm gonna make it touch the celling!" I exclaim, placing the blue colored cup on my hand in the growing pyramid.

"I don't know if you have enough cups to make it that big, and I don't think you could reach that high." I realize Asher is right as I look at my limited number of cups, as well as how far away the celling is from my reach. I can't do it. A trickle of sadness goes through my body.

"Maybe we can find more cups and I can help you make it as tall as possible. We'll make the best cup pyramid possible." Hope fills my chest, Asher is tall! He can make the pyramid reach super tall.

"Yeah!"

"But before all of that let's go eat, dinner is starting soon."

"Okay." I say with a big sigh, I didn't want to stop playing yet but I couldn't deny my stomach is grumbling. I stand up and drag my feet over to the front door, placing my hand on the handle to open it.

"Woah, woah, woah, little bear, going outside pants-less are we?" My face turns red in a matter of seconds as I realize I'm not wearing any pants. I had become so wrapped up in my cups that I had completely forgotten that I never put my pants back on.

I walk over to Asher with my gaze on the ground. I feel so embarrassed, did I seriously almost walk outside with just a diaper and shirt on?! The taller boy grabs my once discarded pants and holds them out for me to step in them. I slip into the pants and shove on some shoes, the silence between us growing awkwardly.

Even as we leave the cabin, and start our walk up the pebble walkways, other people joining around us as we make it to the main road leading to the mess hall building, we don't say a word. Asher's hand had wrap around mine not long after we had left the cabin.

I stay close to Asher, keeping away from the other people. I won't lie and tell you that I'm some social butterfly, no, I'm more like a platypus. Weird, strange, and likes to keep to themselves, begrudgingly talking to others every now and then. Fun fact about platypuses: the males are venomous, and they have ten sex chromosomes.

Don't judge me and my knowledge about platypuses, at one point in everyone's lives they become obsessed with an animal, may it be a polar bear or a sloth. Mine happened to be the duck, beaver, otter mess we call a platypus.

When we get into the mess hall I notice there are two short lines one the sides of the room. People are sitting at the tables, everyone is pretty spread out as there is still a lot of time to come and eat.

My mouth almost falls to the floor when I notice some tall chair like things pulled up to some of the tables. It takes a second for my brain to realize they are high chairs, big high chairs. All of the ones that are out hold kids, most of them already with food on a tray connected to the chair.

Asher pulls me along as he walks through the cafeteria, a destination already in mind. I softly bump into my brown haired roommate as he comes to a stop.

"Have a seat Johnny, I'll be back with food." Asher says, gently pushing me forward to the table bench. At the table a couple of people are already sitting, my guess is Asher's friends if he chose to sit here.

I tighten my grip on Asher's hand. I don't want to leave the only person I know here.

"You'll be just fine here little bear, I'll only be gone for a second but I can't hold your hand to make sure you're okay and bring over our food at the same time." Asher speaks softly as he looks down at me.