Chapter 15 | Echoes of the Past

As they strolled back towards the grand entrance of Hotel Del Coronado, the group fell into casual conversation, their voices mingling with the soft murmur of the night. Victoria's curiosity led the way as she glanced up at the imposing facade of the historic hotel.

"When was this built again?" she inquired, her gaze lingering on the intricate details of the architecture.

Amanda paused, her brow furrowing in concentration. "Eighteen hundreds?" she ventured, her voice uncertain.

"1888, I think," Colby chimed in, his memory serving him well.

Sam nodded in agreement, a hint of admiration in his voice. "Yeah," he confirmed, "it's one of those old, iconic buildings."

Victoria's expression turned thoughtful as she recalled her previous visit to the hotel. "I hope they didn't upgrade the elevators," she remarked, a note of apprehension creeping into her tone.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Sam questioned, his curiosity piqued.

Victoria took a deep breath, her memories flooding back with startling clarity. "The elevators are the ones where you close it with a gate," she explained, her voice tinged with unease. "Last time I was here, there was someone in the elevator. He didn't say a word, just sat there in silence. It was really sketchy."

Amanda frowned, her mind whirling with possibilities. "Was he even really there?" she wondered aloud, her voice filled with uncertainty.

Victoria shook her head, a shiver running down her spine at the memory. "No, I don't think so," she admitted, her tone grave. "That's the thing – it was really scary."

As they stepped into the grand lobby of the hotel, Sam couldn't resist adding a playful touch to the moment. "Insert spooky music here," he quipped, his voice dripping with melodrama. "Dun dun dunnnnnn."

Colby rolled his eyes, his skepticism evident as he glanced around the opulent surroundings. "Dude, I'm not that scared. Yet," he replied, a smirk playing at the corners of his lips. "Because it just looks so beautiful."

Sam grinned mischievously, his eyes gleaming with mischief. "Cut to when he's scared later," he teased, his laughter echoing through the lobby as they ventured further into the historic hotel, their footsteps echoing in the cavernous space.