Chapter 22 | Preparing for the Investigation

It was well past dusk as Sam, Colby, Amanda, and Victoria embarked on their investigation in the room of Kate Morgan. With the curtains drawn shut, the darkness enveloped them, heightening the sense of anticipation and apprehension.

Victoria sat perched on the edge of the bed as Sam and Colby meticulously explained the functions of the investigative equipment they had brought along. Their voices were hushed, as if speaking too loudly might disturb the delicate balance of the atmosphere.

Just as Colby finished his explanation, a sudden thud echoed through the room, breaking the tense silence. Instantly, everyone's attention snapped towards the source of the sound.

"What was that? What was that?" Colby's voice rang out, filled with a mix of curiosity and unease.

Victoria wasted no time in investigating, quickly dropping to her knees and peering under the bed. "Is it under the bed?" she questioned, her voice tinged with urgency.

With a leap, Victoria hoisted herself onto the bed, her eyes scanning the room for any sign of disturbance.

"I can't tell if it's like a boy or a girl," Amanda confessed, her tone reflective of the uncertainty that hung in the air.

"Maybe it's transgender," Victoria suggested with a light-hearted chuckle, momentarily breaking the tension.

The group shared a brief moment of relief, their laughter serving as a temporary reprieve from the eerie atmosphere that surrounded them.

"I can't see the spirit, I can just feel that it's here," Amanda continued, her voice taking on a more serious tone. "But I'm super eager to get into the Estes method."

As the conversation shifted to their investigation techniques, Victoria raised a valid concern. "So you guys are asking the questions, but aren't you gonna hear what I hear?"

Sam and Colby exchanged a knowing glance before Sam replied, "No, because you'll have noise-canceling headphones and a blindfold on. You won't be able to see or hear anything besides that chchchch."

Victoria feigned indignation, mockingly declaring, "What kind of monsters are you guys?"

Their laughter filled the room once more, a brief respite from the mysteries and uncertainties that awaited them in the darkened confines of Kate Morgan's room.