Nathan

We were just finishing up the final slivers of the drinks we had left. Carter managed to keep his glass of Sauvignon Blanc the whole time, no top-ups, no new glasses. I, on the other hand, was on my second flat white. The waitress came over to us once again. "How was everything?"
"It was fabulous, thank you, can we get the bill, please?"
"Yes of course, sir." she walked back through the kitchen door before coming swiftly back, producing a receipt and a cash dish and placing them in the centre of the table, "Do you require a card machine?"
"No thank you, we are going to split the bill."
"Ok, I will come back to collect your payment shortly."
"Thanks-" Carter mumbled as she walked away.
"So, you had the regular steak burger and two flat whites, so your bill is £5.38 for the drinks, and £12.67 for your meal. That's £18.05, let's just say £18.00?"
"Sounds good. How much was yours?"
"Well, £4.25 for my Sauvignon Blanc, and £15.97 for my meal. So £20.22, add on the 5p I am sparing you, £20.27." He chuckled.
"Wow- how about I will pay £19, and then you only have to pay £19.27?"
"Sounds good- I will put down an extra couple of pounds for the tip."
"Ok, that sounds like a plan, Carter!" I reached into my overshirt pocket, pulled out my wallet, took out a £20 note and placed it on the dish. Carter looked at me, puzzled, before shrugging and placing his own £20 note down alongside a few spare pound coins he found in his pocket. We rose from our seats, looking around as a waiter came over to us, picked up the dish and thanked us before walking into the kitchen.
We walked back through the restaurant toward the front door, as we passed the tables at the front window, I felt a familiar warmth run through me, but I was unsure why. I looked to my left to see that same girl who walked in earlier, and I couldn't help myself but wonder where I had seen her before- I could have sworn I knew her.
I glanced over in her direction only to find her gaze set on me. When she saw me looking in her direction, she darted her eyes around the room, glancing everywhere but at me. Did she know me? Were we both feeling this familiar warmth- this strange feeling of familiarity, but where is this coming from? That feeling between us, like gravity to the Earths' core, the north pole of a magnet to the south. That unseen connection.

I moved on, as if nothing had happened. I walked through the front doors of the restaurant, looked back for Carter, holding the door as he wandered through.
"You alright Carter?"
"Yeah, I'm good mate, I'm stuffed now- that meal was great though. What did you think?"
"I did enjoy it actually, yes, thank you for suggesting we come here today."
"Of course, man. You were clearly stressed out and needed a break."
"Thank you for that. I better head home now, where are you off?"
"I'm headed home as well, mate. See you later."
"Bye!" I called back as I walked towards the bus stop until he was out of view. The bus was just pulling up as I got there, I stepped onto the floor of the bus before suddenly, I heard someone scream.
"Wait!"
I turned around to see the girl from before. She must need to get on, I stood in the door of the bus until she got close enough before sitting down.