Chapter 4

***

Even though I kept returning to the caves every day and spent my time there nearly around the clock I never saw the boy there again. But instead, I had gotten something else to think about.

Throughout the following week I started to get letters sent every other day about the progress Robin made in the shack. In the latest one, which arrived yesterday, she had even attached some drafts and floor plans of the building. She was planning on making it noticeably bigger, disconnecting the bedroom from the kitchen and living room.

"Oh, bug off. It'll be great. Trust me." Abigail said over the loud beeping of her game.

I sat there on the floor holding my head in my hands staring at the blueprints, trying to make any sense of them. "The thing is just such a mess! I know this Robin is skilled but I'm starting to wonder if my case is just beyond repair."

Abigail let out a little laugh. I watched her beat another unfinished level. Once she was done, she set aside the controller and turned to me. "If you're so distressed about it maybe you should try visiting the place. See it yourself"

I shot my head up and frantically shook it. Burying it then under my hands I muffled through the floor panels: "I don't want to see it."

"Alright," Abigail turned back to her game and shut herself once again out of this world. How could she be so calm about this? And now she was going to leave me all alone with this.

Next to her sprawled probably the laziest dog to ever walk the earth. Deep asleep he rolled around snoring like a middle-aged dad with a full household and pockets full of dept. He looked like he was the one paying for the house.

Since I seemed to get no support from either of the two, I rolled the parchments back up and dramatically sighed while putting them away. Neither bothered to react to this.

Like Robin had mentioned, Fridays were a big deal in town. And Abigail seemed to agree with the sentiment. She had planned on taking me with her to the Saloon to introduce me to her friends.

"Don't worry! It'll be fun!" She grinned. The evening came way too quickly, and once darkness began to fall over the town we were finally set on our journey.

The town's one and only saloon was an old red brick building with dark wood decorations. The creaking wooden door led to a warm and welcoming burrow. The inside was merely lit by candles and lanterns that hung from the ceiling.

"Hey, since you're new here go get some free drinks from Gus. He always does something special for the first timers. Just don't mention me, heh." Abigail waved her hand vaguely in the bartender's direction. "Come to the nook when you're done. I'll wait for you there."

The room was divided by a long counter where a large man with a thick mustache ran around chasing orders and making drinks. The man rang the cash register like some kind of an instrument and at all times had a strange kind of pride in his features.

He was rather scary to approach.

Once I was alone, I glided through the round tables and sat at the front. Most of the chairs were full and I had to fight for a full seat.

"Hey, could I get a-"

"Ah!" The man exclaimed. Had I come on too strong? He hadn't seemed that skittish from afar. But that was because he wasn't. He set down a large jug and went on with as much enthusiasm; "Finally, you're the new gal, huh. I've been expecting you. The name's Gus, if you will. Welcome to the Stardrop Saloon!"