Chapter 10

***

Abby, 12.03PM
"Please?"

Lily, 12.03PM
"You really wanna go?"

Abby, 12.08PM
"Already texted Seb. He'll see us there."

Lily, 12.09PM
"K."

Abby had been bugging me about the caves ever since she learned what I had been doing there. I had bought my own sword from some shady guy Abby had directed me to and now that there were two swords we could both go. Or so she said.

I was more hesitant. While the caves did provide a rather generous income on the side while I waited for the crops to grow on the farm, they were also incredibly dangerous. On most times that I could count I've spent my nights there lost, unable to find my way out.

I told her all this, but it did little to hinder her excitement.

From the porch the view of the plot had begun to actually look decent. If things kept going as it had been for the last month or so, I could get a rather decent price for it when fall finally arrived. And if things went even better than expected I may be able to even upgrade to a bigger flat in the city.

The next step would be to clear an area for a coop and a barn. Livestock was rather pricey, but I had heard that Pierre pays well for animal products. But that all was a task for another day, for the whole yard was absolutely drenched at that moment.

Koda scampered inside to escape the rain. His muddy paws made their way from the kitchen all the way to the bedroom. I had been planning on spending the day cleaning, but guess I had better things to do.

Picking up the new sword I actually felt rather eager to try it out. On the other side of the belt, I attached the pickaxe and then threw the emptied backpack over my shoulder.

It wasn't until I stepped outside that I realized I could've taken an umbrella with me. But then it was already too late. At the General Store Pierre let out a small wince when I entered, even the little doorbell quivered. Maybe it was the rain that made everything sound so odd.

"Don't worry, I'm here for your daughter." I sighed.

"That's even worse!"

I faintly realized I was still holding onto the sword. To that extent Pierre's reaction was fairly reasonable. I quickly put the sword to hang off the belt and showed the slightly shaking man my empty hands.

"Look," I told him, waving my hands around a bit while making my way backdoors. "Absolutely nothing suspicious."

There, Abigail had already been waiting for me. For the looks of it she had been entirely ready to climb off the second story window of her room to sneak out but seeing me she quickly decided against it.

She had had enough sense to put on a lilac raincoat. She had stuffed her pockets with stones and daggers. We were just leaving when Pierre stepped to block our way back to the store.

"Where'd ya going?"

"To Sam's." Abigail said, her expression gave away nothing. What did not help was the sword obviously sticking out of her jacket. "A bit rougher DnD session."

Pierre raised his eyebrow and I tried to smile innocently.

"Wanna join? Jodi's making pancakes." How effortlessly she lied straight to his face. After a small silence from Pierre, she simply pushed his hand away and walked off. "Don't worry, I'll be back for supper."

I shrugged at him like most of this wasn't my fault and followed after her. Outside I pulled the hood of my jacket deeper over my head. The rain had just gotten worse, and the raindrops felt like daggers hitting against the head.