Chapter 14

***

The wound grew irritating and painful with every movement I made. It really had gotten offended by the salt water and refused to let the thing go. Even none of Harvey's very respectable selection of drugs and lotions seemed to be working.

The dog was surprisingly fine. He had bounced right back. Although, he did seem to sleep a bit more than usual but that could've just been from weariness. The poor thing had frolicked itself to exhaustion.

I had forced Harvey to check him up just in case. Neither had seemed to enjoy the thing too much, but once the doctor had come to the conclusion that there was nothing wrong with the dog, I was able to let go of that fear.

The very next week I got a self-made birthday invite for the 17th. Sam would be celebrating in the Saloon that night. I hadn't had a chance to talk about it with Abby or Seb, but they had surely gotten one as well.

And the day came by fast.

The Stardrop Saloon was packed once again as people all around raised their glasses in the air and cheered; "For Sam!". The birthday boy himself stood on a shaky stool above others with a glass in his hand. A colorful paper cone on his head.

I cheered with others as the drinks lowered and people clinked their glasses together. I got another round from Gus, who had a busy night in front of him. Though, it didn't seem to bother him in the slightest. Maybe the constant ringing of the cash register would help push him through.

The room was soon filled with loud music and the reason why was quickly located. Abby and Haley were bent over an old radio messing around and pushing random buttons just to see what would happen.

The songs were as old as the machine, but the rhythm seemed to pull slightly tipsy people in like flies. After all the tables and chairs were pushed to the side we got a rather nice dance floor in the middle of the room.

It was like the whole town had been invited. People gathered into groups singing loudly along to the festive melodies and bobbing their heads casually to the beat. The mood would soon loosen up even more as people slowly got more and more drunk.

"Not much of a singer, eh?" A rather cocky looking guy leaned over to me and grinned. I had seen him a couple of times around town but never actually spoken to him. The green high school jacket he wore made him look like he mentally never left the school.

"Not really, no." I answered and took another sip of my drink. "You?"

"Hmm, maybe." His grin grew even wider. He took a subtle step closer and continued; "I guess one can never really know their true abilities. Maybe I'll serenade you some time."

"Hah!" As I was just returning for the drink I felt a tap on my shoulder. It was Sebastian. Apparently, he had spotted me and came over. Or maybe it was the jock that pulled him in, because he seemed to eye the guy rather skeptically.

"Wanna dance?" He asked, offering me his free hand.

I glanced at the jock, who surprisingly wasn't looking at me but smugly staring at Sebastian and his rather wobbly cane. Once neither decided to move a muscle, I grabbed hold of Sebastian's extended arm and followed him to the dance floor.

"What's up? You don't mean you're actually going to dance with that leg." I stated. To further my point, I gestured at the cane as if it would bring him to his senses.

"Sure I can. And you're even more able than me." He had that playful grin on his face that rarely appeared, so I let it go. Sure, if he wanted to dance. Or if he wanted me to dance. The music traveled through my veins and for just a small moment the whole world seemed to fade away around us.