Chapter 11

***

"How could you go without me! You could've gotten seriously hurt!" Sam wailed at Abby, who had already been tested and declared fine. Her job was to calm Sam down the best she could while Maru stitched me up. "But that already happened! You could've died. Seriously!"

I sat on my sickbed kicking my legs back and forth. Harvey had recommended me to lie down, but I had already started to feel much better and could soon try to stand on my own.

Abigail had survived the whole incident with only a regular checkup. She had gotten some stitches here and there, but even those didn't seem to bother her much. On the contrary, she seemed to be rather proud of the one scar running through her right brow that only narrowly missed her eye.

Sam shuffled around on his seat and turned to look me in the eye. He had been wondering the same thing as me.

"Where is he by the way? Sebastian." He asked.

"Surgery. The leg needs to be put in place before it can be cast." Maru explained. She had been noticeably quiet for the whole morning, although that could just be a family thing. Still, the worry was clear in her face.

"There, now. You will have to avoid exercising while the wound is still healing and come back in a week for a checkup. Harvey will send you a reminder in the mail." With steady hands she wrapped my torso in tight bandages.

I squinted my eyes but let her finish. After she left, I closed my ears from Sam's rant the best I could and shut my eyes. It didn't help that the monitors attached to me made my head split. I knew steady heartbeat meant good, but why did it have to be so bloody loud?

We all had made it. Or at least as long as Sebastian survived the surgery, we all got out alive. I turned to Abigail, whose face had started to turn desperate.

"How did you get us both out?" I cut Sam off. Thankfully he seemed to be only a little offended.

"I ran to Robin's. They were ready in minutes, but we had to wait for the smoke to lessen. So, it took a while. Actually, it nearly took the whole night." Abby let out a nervous laugh. "It was really scary, actually. You both seemed so... stiff."

First it seemed like she couldn't go on, but then, like none of it had ever happened, her mouth turned to a bit of a devious smile and said, "Robin's furious, you should've seen her face!"

"She's not the only one, young lady."

Pierre towered by the door his gaze fixed at the daughter. I had always thought of him as a bit of an odd person. Gentle and maybe a bit shy compared to his wife. But this showed a completely new side to him. There was something creepy in the way that he stood, his eyes glinting with rage.

"You can't be serious! Don't you ever listen to me? How many times have I said to NOT-" His voice echoed. Under his fury even Abigail crumbled. She looked small and kept her gaze down.

"And you-" Pierre's attention shifted. I couldn't name many monsters scarier than him as he stared at me in the eye. "Stay away from my daughter. If I ever- ever even hear that you've been near her I will-"

"Pierre."

Caroline stood in the hall. She stayed out of the room but was visible to everyone from the doorway. The look on her face sent chills down my neck. With only a single look she got the furious being that had crawled out of Pierre to close back in. She motioned him to come to her.

"We don't need to make a scene." She stated. Her voice was calm, but cold. The loving feeling she usually beamed of was gone. Like it never even existed. She gave Abigail a stern look, which was her sign to follow her. She took them both and walked out.