Chapter 5

***

The long-waited Egg festival loomed over our heads like a gloomy rain cloud. But it didn't start that way. It began with excitement and hurry. Festival days were considered as holidays here, so everything was closed. We got to sleep in, which led to Abigail panicking over the limited time she had to get everything ready.

Her parents definitely hadn't overestimated her passion for this stuff. She had planned her outfit a week beforehand and in it she had considered everything. The weather, movability, comfort, looks. Everything.

The air became warmer and warmer every day. Yesterday's weather reporter had promised sun and light wind at the east side of the city. That meant I could finally bring out some lighter clothes and finally leave out winter's thick layers and long sleeves.

The festival was held in the town square, so basically it stood right in Pierre's front yard. We only had to walk outside to join the rest. Abigail stopped for a moment to scan the terrain until she found what she was looking for. Then she grabbed me by the sleeve, dragging me all the way through the park.

"Come on! Sam's already waiting, there." She insisted on pulling me all the way over to the lone boy on the opposing side of the carnival. Coming closer I noticed a dark shadow next to him.

"Oh, Seb! I thought you'd be coming later."

"Woke up early." He shrugged.

"We're so gonna win this year! I've been sabotaging Vincent for the last three months. That's already one enemy down." Sam said with a gleeful smile. He pointed at a small boy across the area who stood alarmingly still. I couldn't see him well from this far, but I could make out a pair of dark under eyes on him.

"Sam! What did you do?"

"Oh cheer up, it's just makeup... I think. Oh, come on! I did what I had to do." This statement was followed by a violent sneeze.

"Oh, sorry. Pollen." He sniffed. There was a slight stiffness to his voice. He had to blow his nose a few times and cough to get back functioning again.

Abigail glanced at me and made a very stern look. "I'm so going to win this." It screamed.

"Sam!"

There was a pinkish haired woman on the other side of the grounds waving at us. She vaguely reminded me of the little boy Sam had pointed to earlier. The hair was the same, and the posture. She called again for Sam.

"Ugh, what now?" He shouted. I couldn't hear the answer, but Sam's response came loud and clear; "Do I have to? Really? Okay, okay. Coming! -I said I'm- argh, whatever."

While Sam mingled with his family and Abigail wandered aimlessly around Gus' delicacy table -including, but not necessarily limiting to, only that it was the only thing there was, eggs - I tried to pull Sebastian aside for a moment.

"Have you thought about it?" I asked in a hushed voice when I was sure no one else could hear me. I wasn't entirely sure why it all had to be so secretive. It wasn't like I was selling drugs or trying to kill him.

"Thought about what?" Hands in pockets he slowly made his way around the area with me soon in toe. The sun had given a bit pinkish rush over his cheeks and nose, which kind of suited him, I thought.

"Don't act stupid. Ya know... please?"

This time he tried to hide his frown and he stood in place when he thought about it. And yet, he lifted his shoulders a little and sighed; "Alright. If you then promise to stop bugging me about it and leave me alone. Just don't try to get me killed."