Chapter : 74

The next day :

The next day :

Adorned in a gorgeous dress, Arya steps down from the sumptuous carriage bearing the Dragun family crest, with the elite knights of the household as her escorts. It was enough to let the royals know that, despite being a Basilisk, she was cherished in the House of Dragun. Though it was no lie, some people still thought that their relationship was crumbling, and some even were trying to set up their daughter with Ivan. Her gesture made it clear that all their efforts were in vain.

A servant of the empress welcomed her and led her to the garden where the tea session was being held. Though it seemed like an everyday tea session, everyone knew the importance of this event. It was a tactical play, but the empress often held tea sessions to keep the nobles in check. Being a Dragun, Arya was not obliged to attend this session; however, to maintain the good relationship they had, she came. She couldn't let them think little of her.

As she entered the garden, like savages eyeing their prey, everyone turned her way, though their smiles were just a cover for their true intentions, evident unless she was a dunce. She too cast a fake smile as polite as theirs and made her way to the table. Noblewomen much older than her attended this session with their daughters, making extravagant gestures to please the empress, even though some had once turned their backs on her. 'How ludicrous,' Arya thought as she halted near the table, 'a bunch of clowns has gather in one place.'

"Greetings, Your Grace," it was none other than the Marquess of Amorim who greeted her first, leading the others to do the same. Some were not pleased because they believed she should initiate the gesture as the elder, but they were obliged to do so since she bore the name Dragun. "She didn't even make a debut at her coming of age, yet acts so arrogant." "I heard she was a cursed child." "Right, the Marquess didn't even favor her, so where does her arrogance come from?" Covering their mouths with hand fans, they gossiped about her right in front of her, clearly intending to mock her. However, she had endured the torture at the Basilisk house; even the rumors were not enough to break her, so this meant nothing to her. She wasn't one to break easily. Their chatting continued until she cast a look at those women. Feeling her eyes on them, their mouths shut, and they averted their eyes in shame. However, she knew that shame was something people like them did not feel, especially knowing how loudly they bad-mouthed her in front of her.

"There was an interesting article I read in today's newspaper. A tiger was caught and brought to the circus to entertain the people. And since the tiger was shackled, they thought to do as they pleased with it, forgetting their place that even a chained tiger is still as dangerous as when freed," Arya said sinisterly, with a smile plastered on her face.

"Hmm, interesting story, Duchess. I am curious, what happened afterward?" the empress asked, making her way towards Arya. Everyone stood from their seats and greeted her with bows, except for Arya. With a gesture of her hand, the empress signaled them to take their seats. "So, what happened?" she asked again.