Part 19~Motherly

Katara sat around the cooking pot, slowly spinning it with her waterbending before pouring it into Corno and Pickle's mouths.

Iroh was cooking tea for Hachi and Zuko. Isu chuckled as she brushed Corno's fur. Sokka and Toph walked down, holding large bags of money as Katara gave them a look. "Well. Look who decided to join us. Where have you two been? Off scamming again?"

"Yes, we were," Toph claimed confidentially.

"And I suppose you don't think what you're doing is dangerous at all?"

"No. I don't."

"Really?"

"Yes. Really?"

"Well, then. What's this?" Katara pulled out a wanted poster as Toph let out an exasperated sound.

"I don't know. I mean, seriously! What is with you people? I'm blind." Toph pulled at her eyelids as Katara huffed.

"It's a wanted poster of you. 'The Runaway.' Is that what you're called now? Are you proud of this?"

"Where did you get that?"

"It doesn't matter where I got it. The fact is-" Katara stopped as Toph shouted.

"You went through my stuff. You had no right."

"Your stuff was messy, and I was just straightening up, so I happened to stumble across it."

"That's a lie. You're lying, Katara." Toph pointed at Katara as she gasped in shock.

"Fine. It's a lie. But you've been so out of control lately I knew something was up. I knew you were hiding something, and you were hiding, and you were." Katara tried to show Toph the poster again but Toph grabbed it, tossing it and walking away. "Don't walk away from me while I'm talking to you."

"Oh really, Mom? Or what are you gonna do? Send me to my room?"

"I wish I could."

"Well, you can't. Because you're not my mom, and you're not their mom." Toph pointed at the others, who looked over in surprise.

"I never said I was."

"No, but you certainly act like it. You think it's your job to boss everyone around, but it's not. You're just a regular kid like the rest of us. So stop acting like you can tell me what to do. I can do whatever I want."

"I don't act that way. Sokka, do I act motherly?"

Sokka put his hands up defensively. "Hey, I'm staying out of this one."

"What do you think, Isu? Do I act like a mom?"

Isu paused. "I wouldn't know. I never had one."

Katara paused as Toph grumbled. "I can't be around you right now."

"Well, I can't be around you." Katara and Toph stormed off as Sokka turned to Hawky.

"I know, Hawky. Why can't they just get along?"

~~~

"Hey, Hachi. You wanna test out my messenger hawk with me? I've got an idea," Sokka shouted as Hachi paused, walking over.

"Sure."

"I'm going to send a note to Katara and say it's from Toph, who wants to apologise. Then everyone will be friends again."

Hachi gave Sokka a look. "I gotta say, Sokka, you continue to impress me with your ideas." Apparently, Hachi's sarcasm didn't get through as Sokka grinned.

"It's a gift. 'Dear Katara, sorry for everything. Your friend, Toph.'" Sokka positioned Hawky on his arm, placing the note in Hawky's messenger holder.

Before Hachi could stop him, Hawky flew off, landing by Katara, who took the note out, read it, and stood up.

"I know this is from you, Sokka. Toph can't write." Katara tore the note into small pieces. "You're all driving me crazy." Katara stormed off.

"I can't believe we forgot Toph can't write," Sokka announced as Hachi gave him an incredulous look. "Plan B, we send a note to Toph pretending its from Katara."

Hachi grabbed Sokka, pulling in his eyes. "I don't think that will work."

Hawky landed on Sokka's shoulders as he sighed. "Sorry, Hawky. Looks like I'm gonna have to do this without your help. Come on." Sokka approached Toph, a serious look on his face. "We need to talk."

Toph let out an annoyed sound before following behind Sokka to the edge of a cliff, not noticing Katara. "So lemme guess: You brought me out here to tell me that your sister's not as annoying as I make her out to be."

"Nah, she's pretty much a pain."

Katara looked up at their feet, flaring as she looked away.

"She's always got to be right about everything, and she gets all bossy and involved in your business," Sokka continued as Toph nodded.

"Yeah. I don't know how you could deal with it."

"Actually, in a way, I rely on it."

"I don't understand."

"When our mom died, that was the hardest time in my life. Our family was a mess, but Katara? She had so much strength. She stepped up and took on so much responsibility. She helped fill the void that was left by our mom."

"I guess I never thought about that."

"I'm gonna tell you something crazy. I never told anyone this before, but honestly? I'm not sure I can remember what my mother looked like. It really seems like my whole life, Katara's been the one looking out for me. She's always been the one that's there. And now, when I try to remember my mom, Katara's is the only face I can picture."

"The truth is sometimes, Katara does act motherly but that's not always a bad thing. She's compassionate and kind and she actually cares about me. You know, the real me. That's more than my own mom. Don't ever tell her I said any of this." Toph punched Sokka's arm as he chuckled.

"Hey, my lips are sealed."

Katara smiled, brought to tears as she stayed quiet.

~~~

"Hi, Toph, I wanna-" Katara stopped as Toph held up her hand.

"Katara, stop. You don't need to apologise. I was the one being stupid. These scams are out of control, and I'm done with them."

"Actually, I wasn't going to apologise. I was gonna say, I wanna pull a scam with you."

The entire camp stared at Katara in shock.

"What? You wanna pull a scam," Toph exclaimed as Katara smiled.

"Not just any scam. The ultimate scam. Whaddaya say, Toph? Just me and you. One last go. You in?"

"You know I'm in. Now, what's this idea of yours?"