Chapter Two: Acquaintance

Chapter 2

I spent about a week wallowing in my own self pity. I know it was vain of me to be this upset, but I woke up to looking like someone had stepped on my face and with no rememberance of how it happened. Nate did his paramount to reassure me after a few months, I would be completely back to normal, other than a few scars here and there. It at least made me feel a small amount better.

Nate called my mom once I told him to. I gave it a couple of days to try and contact her. She didn’t come until the day after, her excuse being of work. I didn’t complain though considering I’ve already put her through enough.

When she walked in to my hospital room, she was chatting on the phone, probably with one of her employees. I had always envied the way my mom made friends so easily. I considered her with two different personalities; the way she acted at home, and the way she acted around other people. She talked with ease, effortlessly starting an interesting conversation. Around the house, she was filled with endless complaints and critics, mostly about me, and what a hassle I was to her. If you were someone to meet her from a distance, you would never know she was so bad tempered and belligerent.

“Charlie! You’re awake!” She cried, wrapping her arms around me, squeezing tightly like a mother would.

                She held me there for about three minutes, rocking back and forth and stroking my hair.

                “We were all so scared. You should have seen me the night we got the phone call you had been in an accident.” Honestly, I was glad I hadn’t seen her. I could imagine what a mess she was.

                “And these dang hospital bills are going to cost me a fortune! I’m working it out with our insurance right now, but they are sure being difficult about it,”she said.

                “Goodness, you’re a wreck.” She stated, before producing some makeup out from her purse, and dabbing it under my eyes.

“It gets rid of eye bags,” she explained, quickly. That was my mother for you, the one who pointed out my flaws, especially on such a sore subject for me. To think this is the first time she has talked to me in a month, and that’s what she has to say. Lucky me.  

                “Mom, stop. I don’t want it.” I tried to shoo her away, but she rolled her eyes and told me to quit complaining and acting like a child.

                “I think she looks fine.” Nate said as he entered the room, watching my mom trying to force the foundation on to my face. 

“Nice to see you again, Marissa.” He addressed to my mother, courteous as ever.

                She gushed at him, and smiled. “You, as well. I enjoyed our conversation last night on the phone,” She said. She flirtatiously twirled her dyed blonde hair around her pointer finger. I scowled at how embarrasing she was. “Well, I wish I could stay and chat longer, but I have a dinner date and well, I think I’m going to be late if I don’t leave now. You don’t mind, right Charlie, dear?” My mom said, batting her long black eyelashes. I wondered if they were fake too, just to match her personality. 

                She was unbelievable, ditching me for a date. She had only been here for about five minutes. “No, I don’t mind.” I lied. I wanted her to be here with me, but she was getting irritating. I guess it was for the best that she left. She gave a quick wave to first Nate, then me, and walked out of the room, her scarlet heels clicking on the ground with each step.

                Nate sat down next to me, chuckling. “Your mom is really something.”

                I sighed, rolling my eyes. “Tell me about it. Now she has me worried about the medical bills. When I’m out of here, I’ll probably have to work two jobs to pay her back for all of this.”