Chapter Six: Convalescence

Chapter 6

I was laying there in the tunnel-shaped machine. The inside started rotating, as it took pictures from different angles of my head. The doctor was performing a cat scan, to see exactly what had been causing the recent pain in my head.

"We're almost done now." informed the doctor, as the machine made a few final rotations before halting to a stop.

I was interested in what the results would come up as. It would be nice to know what had been causing so much pain. It would be even nicer to finally get rid of it once and for all. 

"Okay, Ella, will you take Charlie here back to her room?" asked the doctor.

Ella helped me out. I hated the feeling of being helpless, but I didn't deny her as she slid me in to a wheel chair, and turned me towards the door, rolling me down the narrow hallway. It was the first time I had been out of my room. I took in the moment, looking around. I remembered when Anthony asked me if I went crazy because I was contained in that room for all hours of the day. As we wheeled past doorways, I could spot some sick patients. I now saw the sign that directed towards the cancer wing. I was a little curious to meeting some of Anthony's friends, but as we continued past it, I figured it would have to wait for another time.

We made it to the front of where my room was. I looked at the door, finally seeing it from the outside. It was room 432. I kept a mental image of it, as Ella opened the door and helped me back in to my bed.

I instantly smiled as I saw Nate and Anthony in there waiting for me. Nate had been taking Anthony's blood pressure and taking note of a few other things.

"Hey guys," I said, settling in to my bed now, and Ella leaving the room.

"Hi," Anthony replied, then turned back to Nate. I frowned, he was being quieter than usual. And Anthony being quiet was not normal at all. The kid was a social butterfly.

"What's wrong, Anthony?" I asked, worried.

He threw an upset, almost alarming look at Nate before answering. "I have to go home tonight," He stated, his arms crossed in front of his chest. Nate was now getting daggers from him. I wondered what he had done.

"I thought you haven't been feeling well enough..." I trailed off, more than a little confused.

It was Nate's turn to speak now, quickly clearing up my puzzlement. "Anthony was faking sick."

"I don't want to leave!" Anthony practically yelled at Nate, his glare even stronger than before.

"Stop throwing a tantrum. You're feeling good enough, so you should go home and be with your family." Nate answered, being right like usual. Anthony couldn't argue with that. Although his viewpoint was weak, that didn't stop him from trying.

"It's boring at my house though. My parents can come visit me here every day anyways."

"But it's an inconvenience for them to do so."

"I'm staying here," Anthony stated, not showing any sign of being defeated. I knew he would put up a fight.

Nate looked irritated, "No, you're not." 

"Yes I am!" 

"No." 

"You can't make me leave," Anthony tested.

Nate grinned, "You know you're not the heaviest kid. I can pick you up and throw you over my shoulder with one hand. It's not going to be hard to get you in your mom's car." 

Anthony sighed in defeat, but he didn't give up the glare. I can't believe he was upset about going home. A few weeks ago, I would have been more than thrilled to get out of this place that kept me in such confinement. Except now, it would be such a shame to leave Anthony and Nate, after we had become such good friends. Now that I thought about it more, I didn't blame Anthony for faking sick to buy a little extra time here.