Chapter Sixteen: Some Last

-Chapter Sixteen

"Go fish," Anthony said as Lizzie reached for the deck of cards and added the one on top to her hand.

 "Got any threes?" Anthony asked me, gesturing towards the cards in my hand.

 "Go fish." I repeated for what seemed to be the millionth time, "You've asked me for threes five times in a row, and my answer has always been no. When are you going to give up?"

 "When you finally have a three," he laughed.

 "Any eights?" I asked Lizzie who pulled out a card from her hand with a sigh and sacrificed it over to me.

 "I win," I said putting all of my matches down in front of us on the floor as evidence.

 "Darn, that's the third time you've won. Rematch?" Anthony grumbled. 

 "If I play one more round I think I'm going to go insane. Maybe if you asked for other numbers besides threes you would actually win a game."

 "Hey, hey. Don't doubt my strategy now." 

 "A little late for that," Lizzie chimed in.

 Anthony smiled, but just for a second. His face turned ghost white, and he clutched his stomach and bolted towards the bathroom.

I groaned, "Not again," It was either Anthony or Lizzie. I hated seeing either of them sick. Lizzie had been at an all time low and we were making the most out of spending time with her before she was gone. 

 I heard the sound of liquid hitting and covered my ears. Lizzie did the same. Hearing what was going on might induce her puking as well.

 As soon as he came out, he looked embarrassed. "Sorry about that," he said, shrugging.

 "Anthony! Don't be sorry! It's fine," I said, making him feel a little better.

 Lizzie agreed with me too. Of course, it could be her the one puking next. She was more than understanding.

 "It's weird. I've been feeling better lately," said Lizzie, quietly. I knew she didn't like to say things like that in fear of it getting reversed too soon. 

 My eyes went wide. "What!? Have you told Dr. Reynolds!? Lizzie, that's great!" 

 She shook her head, "You're the first person I've told. I'm kind of scared to wonder if maybe I could live..."

 I was confused. Shouldn't be a good thing that there was a chance?

 "Why are you scared, Lizzie?" I questioned.

 "I don't know," she started, "I'm scared I'll be wrong. I'm starting to have a lot more hope though..." she continued.

 There was still a chance. Not a big one, but still a chance. A miracle would have to occur to keep this young innocent girl alive. And that was the whole reason Nate stayed working at a hospital. It was never too late for one.

"I think we should tell Dr. Reynolds about this!" 

"You think? She asked.

"One hundred percent," I said. I hated not knowing things, just like my brain surgery. I wanted to find out for sure if it was possible she was getting better. 

Anthony walked out of the room, and when he came back, Dr. Reynolds was following right behind him.

"What is it, Anthony? What's the big emergency?" He asked, looking around the room at all three of us, who were clearly in no need of emergency. Anthony may have exaggerated just a little bit.