Chapter 13: Now We Got Problems

Last period I had chemistry that day, and that sucked. The teacher, Mrs. Peronne, was the strictest teacher ever. Coach Lavester had emailed all the teams last period teachers so that we could leave early. Mrs. Peronne didn't like allowing anyone to leave her class early no matter what the reason. She felt that her class was above all the rest, and I slightly agreed with her. If I ever missed her class, I would have been lost for a week. If I missed any other class, I would be able to catch up later that day. It sucked a little that that was the class I had to miss because of soccer. In the game, I wouldn't even receive playing time, so why would I have to warm up? I wished so much that I had free period last that day, but nope. It was chemistry.

Unfortunately, every single varsity player had to get to the field by 2:30, so my hand shot up at 2:15.

            "Yes, Ms. Branson?" Mrs. Peronne asked in the middle of her lesson. Her hands rested on her hips and her glasses hung on the tip of her red nose. It had been red for months. I swore that she was the mother of Rudolph, but she claimed that it was only a cold. It was only a cold that lasted many months. Yeah right.

            "I have to leave for a soccer game," I said as fast as I could. Desperately, I wanted to escape the situation and head to my game.

            Mrs. Peronne watched me for a while. Her pale blue eyes burned into me.

            "Go ahead, but I expect you to be all caught up with the work by tomorrow." Her raspy voice was harsh and fast like mine.

            "Of course." I nodded and scurried towards the wooden door. "Sorry," I murmured before I slipped out the door. I could feel all the eyes on me, and I never enjoyed being put in that situation.

            Because I had the soccer game, I needed the car. Sam didn't know that. She had driven to school herself, so I hitched a ride with Quinn in the morning.

Thankfully, I knew Sam's locker combo. When the combinations came in the mail I made sure to memorize hers just incase we had a scene like this one. It was surprising that Sam just left the car keys dangling in her locker. If I ever had the chance to drive the car to school, I would have kept the keys wrapped around my wrist all day.

Thrusting my jammed locker open, a piece of paper fluttered out and onto the ground. Confused, I picked it up to find that it was letter, and it had been sent by Aspen. My heart sped up.

Branson,

I better see you kicking ass on that field. I'll see you at exactly 2:38 from the stand. After the win, we are going out to celebrate. You're the best.

Love, Aspen

Aspen made my head become filled with fog. Having him attend my game meant the world to me. I barely touched the soccer field during games, but somehow Aspen made me feel as if I was the star of the team. That was definitely not the case, there were 11 other girls on the team that were amazing on the field. I was average, and a game like that needed spectacular players.

What was even better than Aspen coming to my game, was that he was also taking me out after the game. Even if we lost, Aspen would take me out. He was sweet like that. It would be a pity outing if we lost, but at least I got to hangout with him.

"Hey Ella!" I heard a scream from down the hall. Stretching my head, I looked for the person calling my name. It was Taylor. "Stop daydreaming and get down to the field!"

I watched her standing at the top of the staircase.

When I didn't move, Taylor grew red.

"Now Branson!" She screamed louder than I've ever heard. I jumped at the loudness and quickly collected all my belonging before bolting down the stairs and to my car. I'm sure that she had just erupted all the classrooms on that floor, and I wasn't planning on sticking around to get the wrath of the teachers.