Chapter 14: High School Musical

"Favorite animal?" Aspen asked. His smile grew as he asked these questions. He thought it was a chance to learn more about each other, and he was right.

"Butterflies," I beamed.

"That's an insect but we'll pass on that." Aspen winked. "Why are they your favorite?"

"They're beautiful and have such pretty patterns on their wings. Also, they can fly away from their problems. They can fly anywhere they want actually." They can fly away from Sam.

"Great points." Aspen nodded. "Mine would be a tiger. They're focused and aggressive and accurate." Aspen looked off into the distance. "Great qualities."

We were walking on the docks in town. Aspen explained that his friend owned a boat, so we were able to be there without getting in trouble. We were just walking though. It was nothing illegal.

"Favorite book?" I asked. This was important to me. I may not have been a star student, or a star athlete, but reading was my passion. People said I read so much I could write a book, but I sucked at writing. Reading took me out of reality, like butterflies.

Aspen's eyes grew. "You read?"

My eyes narrowed. "You don't?"

Aspen smiled. "Of course I do! I just didn't think you were a reader. It was always a secret I kept," Aspen explained. "Being a bookworm, I mean."

"You're ashamed of being one?" Everyone knew that I read. You weren't truly seeing me unless I had a book strapped to my hip.

"It's not the reputation that people want." Aspen shrugged. "I'm the star of the soccer team. People don't think I have time for anything else, much less, reading."

I walked into his shoulder. "You could break the status quo."

Aspen stopped walking. "Are you suggesting I go all High School Musical?" His dimple showed.

"It could be the start of something new." I smiled and jumped to the middle of the dock. "Hip hop is my passion!" I screamed and threw out my hands. "I love to pop and lock and jam and break." I imitated some awful dance moves.

Aspen leaned toward me. "Is that even legal?"

"It's just dancing. Sometimes, I find it cooler than homework," I whispered.

Aspen broke into laughter at that point. His body dropped to the floor and he held his stomach as he rocked back and forth. I joined in on his laughter.

"I can't believe you know high school musical songs." Tears were forming in my eyes. Who knew that a popular guy like Aspen new the lines to High School Musical?

"Well, if Troy can tell his secret than I can mine." Aspen shrugged and continued his laughing fit.

. . .

"Mom! Where are my pom poms?" Sam screamed as she marched around the colonial house.

"Honey, I don't touch your cheerleading stuff." Mom rolled her eyes and shrugged at me. I giggled to myself.

Samantha barged into the kitchen where mom and I were trying to hide. When Sam is mad, it was like Medusa was let loose. Nobody looked her in the eyes. 

"Homecoming is tomorrow," Sam explained. "If I don't have my pom poms then everything will be ruined."

"Aren't there extras that you can just use?" I suggested and bit into an apple.