Chapter Three

SOMEONE WAKES ME up, banging loudly on my door.

I squeeze my eyes, trying to block the noise out. I've managed to grab some form of sleep for the past week. Sam and I have been sharing my old room for now. Lyton thinks me sleeping in R's room, surrounded by R all day every day isn't going to help me for now. Sam and I have been sleeping top and tail, and I get to look out to Saxet every night.

I can still see R's blood on the windows of the Resistance building.

The banging continues on.

I hear Sam's groan, as he throws the duvet off and I hear his feet against the floor. I keep my eyes closed, my back towards the door.

"What do you want?" I hear Sam say and I hear heavy breathing, like whoever it is has just ran a marathon.

"I need to speak to Mavis," I hear Luka's voice. I hear Sam sigh; they pause for a moment.

"I don't think she's awake yet." Sam says.

"Then we need to wake her up!"

"Why?" Sam asks.

"I can't explain, but she is gonna wanna see this." Luka says. There is another pause, and I hear the door open wider, and I hear the two sets of footsteps head to the bed.

"You can wake her up." I hear Sam say. The bed becomes heavy behind me, and I feel a hand against my upper arm.

"Mavis," I hear Luka say softly, as he slightly shakes me. "Wake up."

"I'm awake." I reply keeping my eyes closed, and he removes his hand. I turn myself over onto my back and slowly open my eyes. "What do you want to tell me?"

"It'll be easier to just show you." He says, and I frown, throwing the duvet off my body, and beginning to climb out of bed. Sam says he is beginning to see progress with me, and I believe him. My skin is brighter, my hair shiner, I can walk more without getting out of breath.

Sam slings an arm over my shoulders and we walk downstairs together.

Everyone is standing in the main room, waiting for me to come down.

"What is this?" I ask. "The mother's meeting?"

Everyone remains silent as they all look to the front door. I look to the door, bolted shut. It looks normal.

"What's going on?" I ask, feeling my heart begin to pound in my chest.

"Cass and I went on our patrol this morning; we didn't even get out of the front door." Mikko says, and I frown, heading down the rest of the stairs, and moving to the front door.

"Is this a trap?" I ask, Mikko shrugs his shoulders. I take a deep breath placing my hands on the lock and beginning to unbolt the door.

I don't know what I'm expecting. Thousands of dead birds. Capturers all lined up in a row. The heads of all those I have lost. I'm expecting the worst. I close my eyes and unlock the door. Mikko helps me open it and I feel the cool air of the outside, and I open my eyes.

My eyes widen as I look around the city. I step outside, walking down the steps, looking down each side of the city, as far as I can see. All along the roads, covering every inch of concrete and tarmac are white letters.

Millions and millions of bright white envelopes. I start walking to the middle to the street. I bend down picking up an envelope;

Mavis Sterling