Chapter Four

THE STREETS OF the Old City are painted a light grey, like freshly laid concrete or a baby swan's feathers. I zip up my jacket, looking in the mirror in the bathroom. My cheekbones are still on show, my eyes still sunken, but with my hair tied back, and my fringe slightly sweeping across my face, I feel powerful.

I grip the edges of the sink, looking deep into my eyes.

"You can do this." I tell myself. "It's just Veronica."

There is a knock at the door, and I turn to see Lyton's face. I take my hands off the sink, standing up straight, dusting down my pants.

"Sorry, I was just-"

"It's okay." He interrupts me. "I have something for you." He holds out a gift, wrapped up in brown paper. I take it with both of my hands. It's small, and feels like a box. I pull at the string, dropping it to the floor, and unwrapping the paper. There is a small black box, and when I take the lid off, there is a small silver coin necklace. On the pendant there is a man and a lion embellished with the words 'Saint Daniel' on the edge of the pendant.

"Lyton," I say, pulling the necklace out of the box, and letting the chain hang in front of me. "It's beautiful." I tell him.

"Saint Daniel, Saint of Courage." He says. "It was my mother's, contraband of course. She gave it to me the day before the Examination, but I thought it would suit you better."

"Lyton," I say, holding it towards him. "I can't accept this."

He pushes the pendant back into my hand, and closes my hand around it.

"You can, and you will." He says. "It's a gift from Luka and I. Turn around."

I do as instructed and he helps me put the necklace on. I touch my fingertips to it, and turn back around with a smile. I pull him into a hug.

"Thank you." I whisper as he wraps his arms around me tightly.

"Go and get her." He says. "For Elijah and R."

I pull away and I nod. I walk out of the bathroom, down the stairs. The knives in my pants and pockets clink against each other. The small handgun tucked into my belt at my back.

Everyone wishes me goodbye, Mikko offers to follow, keeping a few buildings back. I tell him no. Veronica's instructions were very clear. I come alone, I find out what she wants and I'm gone. I told Mikko to come and find me if I'm not back in half an hour. I have a feeling he'll be near regardless of what I tell him.

I leave out the front door, the ashes make my footsteps silent.

I find a building close to the gates of Saxet, and I make my way to the roof. I keep my eyes on the gates, and just beyond, waiting for the sea of white and a blue dress to follow.

Just as the sun hits the middle of the sky, my wishes are granted. I sit legs dangling over the edge of the building as they march their way to the gates.

A capturer punches in a code, and the alarm howls three times as they open. A sea of white march out, following soon by a sleek black car, the one I've seen thousands of times sailing through Saxet. The one I have been in myself. The one Veronica Blanchard is sitting in.

It swings in, the driver climbs out, and heads to the backdoor, and opens it.

Dressed in a slinky blue dress that shimmers in the sun, Veronica Blanchard steps out. She looks well, despite the last time I saw her she was covered in crimson and had a knife sticking out of her knife.

She smooths her dress down, looking round the streets of the Old City. Looking for me. I see an eyebrow raise, as she turns to her driver.

"Where is she?" She asks him, and he shrugs his shoulders.