Chapter Nine

"GOOD MORNING MAVIS." Veronica greets me the next day at the bedroom door. She doesn't look as flawless; without her make-up and her hair tied up and her body drenched in a dressing gown. She looks human, normal, tired. She matches my dark circles and a terrible excuse for bed head, but she rocks a silk nightgown and matching dressing gown. Another reminder of how we will never be the same.

I'm wearing my Saxe uniform, I've been up for hours, watching the sun rise, watching the Old City for any form of movement.

I heard her moving about an hour ago, walking up and down the stairs, up and down the corridor, and I heard plates shuffling on the dining room table and the sound of a kettle squealing.

"Morning," I reply simply to her.

"Breakfast is on the table." She says, turning around and leaving the door open. I could imagine a morning like this back at home; Mikko cooking, Cassie's cheery hellos, as she places glasses of orange juice in front of us all, Luka and Lyton creating food catapults to sling at Mikko; myself wrapped up in the arms of R. I would kill for a morning like that.

I'll be home, soon.

True to Veronica's word, breakfast is on the table and just like my breakfasts back in Saxet it's a bland mix of oatmeal and an apple... completely different to the delicious bacon, sausage and egg I have gotten myself accustomed to.

I take my seat, and Veronica pours me a mug of coffee. At least there is one thing I can stomach. I push the oatmeal around my bowl and catch Veronica's eyes as she spoons the grey sludge into her mouth.

She places her spoon down against the table, pushing her body back into her chair.

"Do you not like my cooking?" she asks.

"You didn't cook this." I reply, mixing it around my bowl.

"Okay then," she rolls her eyes, "do you not like my chef's cooking?" She asks.

"Not really," I say.

"Rude." She comments raising a mug to her lips.

"I guess it's a bit different to what I'm used to." I say.

"Oh yes, raiding our supply trucks and out of date pancake mix in that city must be a joy." She retorts.

"I mean, I never really enjoyed it when I lived in Saxet." I tell her.

"Oh how lucky you are that you now get whatever you want." She replies.

"Veronica, it's not that big of a deal. Save the oatmeal tomorrow, one less mouth to feed." I push back against the table, and climb to my feet, heading towards the door.

"Where do you think you're going?" She asks. I close my eyes.

Simple Saxet rule Mavis; never leave the table until your food is gone and you have been excused.

I turn myself back around, sit myself at the chair I was in before, and I take a deep breath.

I grab the spoon, shovelling the oatmeal into my mouth. It's not as bad as I remember, but not as good as the food I'm missing out on. I finish the last spoonful and bite into the apple.

Once I have too finished that, I down my coffee to wash the breakfast down, and I place the mug on the table, my eyes straight to Veronica.

"May I be excused?" I ask.

She takes a deep breath. "No, I would like to run through the rota for today." She sips her own cup of coffee. "You will meet with Natalie." She explains.