Chapter Sixteen

NATALIE AND I stand outside Meredith Johnson's home in Nesbitt; the neighbour-hood across the city from where Meredith's body was found. Mr and Mrs Johnson, a Marc and Joanna reported Meredith missing the day her body was found, and now, for some reason, it is mine and Natalie's job to announce the news to her parents.

"Why isn't Veronica here?" I ask out loud as I stare at the door. "Or Byron?"

"Byron quit months ago, works in a factory now." Natalie replies. "I'm her second in line."

What a step down, second in line to Veronica and now, a factory worker.

"Does that mean if Veronica died you'd take over as Resistance leader?" I ask her.

Her face turns to me, her eyes looking more green than blue today.

"You better not be getting any ideas there." She states. "You try and kill Veronica and I kill you."

"I don't think you've done your research on Survivors." I offer her a smile.

"I think you underestimate me," she turns back to the door, raising a hand to knock. "It's cute."

She knocks, and I hear the echo throughout the house as my stomach flips over. I'm hoping that they're not in, and Natalie can come back later by herself.

The door opens a lady with a warm smile greets us. Her auburn hair is tied into the classic Saxet bun, her eyes flick between Natalie and me. She must be thinking what an odd pair, a woman in a mask and a face lost to the Old City.

"Can I help you?" She says.

"Are you Meredith Johnson's mother?" Natalie askes. The colour instantly drains from her face; the face of I assume Joanna Johnson. Her mouth drops, and she covers it with it her hand, nodding her head furiously.

She's expecting good news; that Meredith has been found and she's fine, and the murder wasn't her daughter and she'll be back home tonight, and her family is going to be back together. But all we have is a plate of bad news.

"My name is Natalie; I'm Miss Blanchard's second; and this," Natalie turns to me, and I try and give Joanna a smile. "Is, erm..."

I know why she doesn't want to say my name. Why would anyone welcome Mavis Sterling into their home with open arms?

"An apprentice of, erm, the Resistance." Natalie lies for me, and I try not to like my smile falter. "Yes, an apprentice within the Resistance, sorry." She laughs. "It's still early in the morning."

Joanna bats a hand to Natalie's awkwardness and blames her lack of ability to lie on the morning.

"She is working on this case with me." Natalie nods to me, still trying to convince herself of her own story.

I look to Joanna, she looks at me dead in eye and I brighten my smile as her eyebrows turn upside down.

"Don't I know you from somewhere?" She asks.

I cough, clearing my throat of the nothing but nervousness that congealed itself there.

"I don't think so." I laugh. She shakes her head, her smile returning to her face. I look to the floor, my boots against the gravel, the small step up and then the Saxet floorboards. Smoother than the ones in the Bonnie and Clyde; they should sell them, Saxet floorboards, zero splinters guaranteed. That is how you would capture the Survivors, after a year of plucking Luka's splinters from his feet, anyone would jump at the chance to feel them again.

"Are you coming?" I hear Natalie's voice and when I look up, the door is being held open and Natalie is already stepped in. I nod.

"Sorry," I mutter, grabbing the wall and pulling myself in. I shut the door behind me.