Chapter Thirteen

I WAKE THE next morning to the sun beaming through the bedroom window. Wherever I go, it's always the same; a window for me to stare out of and a haunted city staring back.

I yawn, rolling onto my back, and look to my hands, starting to peel away the bandages. As I see my palm, I notice the glass cuts that were once burning red have faded away, and my palms look like normal to me.

I push myself out of bed, and start getting dressed. I walk out of R's bedroom, and towards the bathroom, where Veronica is stood at the door, dressed pampered, hair swirling above her head. She's talking to someone in the bathroom and as I get closer, I see the man installing a new glass door.

"Morning," I say.

She turns, her smile never faulting.

"How long before I can pee?" I ask, Veronica shrugs her shoulders. Saying goodbye to John (handyman guy as I have now found out) and walking towards the dining room. "Dude, I'm not gonna lie, I really have to pee."

"Hold it," she says over her shoulder. "And don't call me dude, I'm not your buddy." She clarifies.

"Look,buddy, I will piss all over your pretty glass floor unless you find me an alternative toilet to pee in." I tell her. She groans, coming to a stop, and turning around, her heels clacking against the floor.

"Wait here." She says, and she disappears into a room, one I haven't been in. She comes out with a piece of material. "Turn around." She says.

"Kinky." I reply.

"Will you just do as I ask please?" She begs, and I turn around. She places the material over my eyes, and ties it tightly behind my head. The material is really scratchy making my eyes itch.

She holds onto my shoulder, leading me back down the corridor.

"There's thirteen steps to climb." She instructs, grabbing my hand and placing it onto the bannister.

She really doesn't want me to know who is up here.

I start climbing, feeling Veronica slightly in front of me. I almost trip at step five, when the staircase turns and Veronica does not tell me. She catches me before I slam my head into I guess is her wall. When I thank her, she comments on the paint work. I roll my eyes but she doesn't see.

We get to the top, and it's like we are in a completely different place.

It's so warm up here, not uncomfortably warm, but definitely a slight change in temperature. The air feels different too, smoother, it glides in and out of my lungs easily, and doesn't tickle the back of my throat. The room smells differently too, like saltwater, like R in a way, but stronger. Even through my blindfold, I can see how much brighter this room is, but not in a harsh way, like the whole room just glows brighter.

This is what stands at the tippy top of the Resistance building, and I had no idea. How do I not know what this room looks like? I've stared at this building for years and years and have never seen anything inside.

"Veronica?" the same male voice from yesterday calls out. "It's early!"

"Go back to sleep," Veronica hushes.

"Who is that?" He asks.

"It doesn't matter, go back to sleep." She repeats. I don't hear his voice again, I can hear his breathing. I hear something squeak, maybe his bed as he rolls in it, ready to sleep again. He for one takes Veronica's threats seriously.

She continues guiding me, before opening a door, and pushing me in.

"You have three minutes." She says, and rip the blindfold off.