Chapter Eight

I USED TO think Veronica Blanchard was beautiful, but now, the closer I get to her, I see the cracks in her foundation, the hatred in her eyes and the blood of thousands of innocent people dripping from her hands.

"Chilly today isn't it?" She comments, rubbing against her arms. She's wearing a long black velvet dress, it sticks to her like oil. She throws Mikko and I a wicked smile.

Lines of capturers to each side of the car, guns at the ready. With each step my mind screams; trap, trap, trap. But I also know that this is the only way to get R back. I can't let him slip through the cracks in my fingers again.

I take my hand back as we head towards Veronica. The black car keeping me from my past of Saxet.

"And this must be the orphan." Veronica says, and I frown, her eyes no longer piercing mine by Mikko. He swallows and gives just as good as a stare back. "Mikko Jones. I remember you, tough child, always getting in trouble one way or another. They found you in the abandoned roads, didn't they?"

"You are correct." He says, clearing his throat. Maybe that's why Mikko is so in love and devoted to Cassie. He's never had a proper family before her. But who would leave their baby in the abandoned streets. The chances of Mikko being found were slim to none.

"We still are yet to find your family." Veronica says.

"I don't want you to find them." Mikko replies.

"Oh how novel," she laughs.

"Veronica." I sternly say. "Today isn't about Mikko."

She turns her attention to me.

"Just having some appetizers before my main course." She steps towards me, getting closer and closer.

Her fingers slip underneath my chin, and I see out the corner of my eye, Mikko's grip on his axe tighten.

"No need to get angsty Orphan Boy, I won't do anything to her." Veronica says, her eyes not leaving mine.

I flash my eyes to Mikko and he loosens his grip.

"Good Orphan Boy." Veronica taunts.

"He has a name." I reply.

"And right now, I am only interested in yours." She grins wickedly. "How have you been darling?"

"Where is R?" I ask her, and her fingers curl around my chin.

"You look well." She ignores my question.

Her fingers are like poison, my neck becoming itchy, like she's an allergy.

"Where is R?" I repeat.

"We will get to that one eventually." She lets go of my chin and I repulse backwards. "I need you to sign a contract."

"You give me R and I'll sign your contract." I reply.

"You sign my contract and I'll hand my brother over."

"R first."

"I gave you my word."

"I don't trust anything that comes out of your mouth." I reply.

I see her grind her teeth. She turns to someone behind her and nods up. They open the trunk, pulling out the figure covered in a brown sack again, arms tied behind him.

He stumbles forward and is pushed onto his knees. The brown sack is ripped off him, revealing R's face.

I breathe a sigh of relief and rush over to him.