Chapter 12

Recap...

I handed the essay in when I was finished, to my English teacher and she told me to me to finish the class novel and write another essay on one of the main ideas. I got halfway through the book before the bell rang and I happily went to my locker for lunch.

"I feel like everyone suddenly hates me." I told Umme as I sat down by my locker.

"Well you do have detention with the hottest guy in school." Saafiya says.

"You guys are way too blunt, Astaghfirullah." I say and they laugh in return.

"You guys really like talking about me, don't you?" I heard a voice that I recognized very well come from behind me.

"I don't." Umme says.

"Neither do I."Saafiya says ironically at the same time as Umme.

"Well...that leaves you Layla." He says smiling.

"Uggghhh. You! You're the reason why I have detention! Do you know that I've never had a dang detention before? Do you?!" I half yell at him and I expect him to be embarrassed to say nonetheless, but he isn't.

"Well there's a first time for everything." He says arrogantly and I fume.

"I hate you so much!"

"You know you love me." He says, smirking and leaves the hallway leaving my jaw hanging.

Chapter 12

Both Saafiya and Umme have their mouths covered right now with their hands, and I can tell that they're about to explode any second now.

"Don't even start." I tell them as I type up my biolog y notes.

"We didn't say anything." Umme says defensively holding up her hands in surrender.

"You were going to." I say.

"Ya, I was." Umme says honestly.

"Layla I think it doesn't take a blind man to know that you guys both like each other." Saafiya says.

"Hey! I don't like him; I truly utterly despise him." I tell her.

"Then how come you didn't defend yourself when he told you that you "loved" him." Umme says and now it's her turn to be my target for the glaring game, which I'm apparently playing today.

"Before Layla bursts open an artery, let's change the conversation to something lighter." Saafiya says and I know at that second, that my glaring has worked.

"So do you guys want to go out to the café across the street today?"

"I have detention."

"We'll pick you up after detention then." Saafiya says.

"Sure."

I finish typing up everything for biology class by the end of the lunch period, and also get to finish my lunch as well. When the bell rings, Saafiya, Umme, and I say our goodbyes because the next time we'll see each other will be after I serve detention.

In psych class, I got all of my notes done and only needed to study off of them now, for the upcoming test. When Home Studies class rolled around, I was feeling nervous, and jittery which was so unlike me.

We made penne pasta today, which I had to skip out on eating because my stomach was doing cartwheels right now and I knew that if I ate anything, it would all come back up.

When the bell rang, I slowly made my way to the detention room. I decided to sit at the back of the classroom hoping that Hamza wouldn't notice me when he walked in. Mr. Chase told us to write our names on the board, so he knew which students came and which didn't. After he told us that, he left the classroom to go into the storage space that was connected right beside our classroom.