Saafiya's Story-A Moment of Time

PLEASE READ: So as you all know, I have been considering to write Saafiya's story, and through some thinking, I have decided to share the first chapter of her story as I have some ideas for the plot of the story. The novel itself will be called "A Moment of Time". Although I have thought to be one with Layla in "A Halal Love Story", Saafiya is a character that I can relate more with and she will go through experiences that I, myself have gone through. Hope you all enjoy! 

**REMEMBER**: although "A Moment of Time" is a continuation of "A Halal Love Story", it's not necessary for the first book to have been read, in order to understand the second one.

CHAPTER 1

I push my bus ticket into the machine, and wait for the bus to come—today it's late by 10 minutes. Since I decided to go to university close by, I have to commute by bus. Plus, I got into a car crash 6 weeks before university started, so my car is pretty much wrecked. It was a drunk driver, and I was going to go pick up medication for my mom. But 1 broken arm, 2 broken ribs, and a concussion later; here I am.

I look outside at the metamorphosis of the beautiful colours escaping down the trees as if they had no care in the world; freedom is what it's called. Although it's nowhere near fall, the biting cold, still is starting to appear, and I should be used to it, seeing as I've lived in Canada for over 12 years; but it still fazes me year after year.

After a 20-minute walk, I'm finally home, and I take off my shoes once I enter the house.

"Ammi (mom), I'm home!" I yell out.

"I'm upstairs Saafiya." My mom says quietly after a couple of seconds.

I go to her and say Assalam O Alaikom (peace be upon you; Islamic greeting) to her, and she tells me to sit down on her bed.

"کیا ہو رہا ہے امی؟"

"What's going on mom?" I ask her with a sigh.

I'm not stupid enough to realize that mom and dad have been hiding things from me lately. The quiet whispers, the hushed talks, and the medication that mom takes that has her vomiting at every meal. Plus, it's hard to ignore what was once a healthy plump Pakistani woman, who now looks frail and brittle, as if a light wind is enough to blow her over.

"صفیہ، مجھے کینسر ہے"

"Saafiya, I have cancer." She says, and I look at her with tears starting to drop from my eyes. A burning sensation behind my nose, and my heart slowly starts breaking into pieces.

"بچے، رونا بند کرو."

"Saafiya, stop crying." She says to me tryingly but it doesn't work, as the tears still run down my face.

"Ammi you can't die." I say to her with my lips automatically pouting. She pulls me in closer and hugs me tightly.

"Now you listen closely. I have only one wish before I die." She says, and the tears run down at a faster rate.

"Mom don't say that. Allah (swt) is in charge of life and death." I say to her.

"Saafiya, I know that, but the doctor said that the chances of me surviving aren't very high. Brain cancer at this day of age isn't highly treatable. Plus, Allah (swt) has already given me such a great life—with meeting your father, having you; a pious daughter, and all of our close family and friends being there... I honestly don't think I could ask for more in this Dunya (world).

Now my final wish is for you to get married Saafiya. I know that you are still pretty young, but I want to die knowing that you are with someone whom you love, and are well-off."

"But mom, Jessica likes Adam." I say and then suddenly close my mouth at my realization.

"You like Adam?!" Mom says in shock, and then she starts laughing at me.

"That's not very nice mom." I say.

"I can't believe I didn't see it sooner. Well his family is also coming over to visit in next week's Dawat (party)." She says with a wink and I scowl at her.

"Remember to keep it halal." She says as she pushes me out the door to start on my work.

"I've never thought of marrying someone before." I say as I leave her room.

"It just sounds better when I say to keep it halal." She says with a laugh.

--

HOPE YOU ENJOYED IT! THE REST OF THE STORY WILL BE CONTINUED SEPERATELY ON MY ACCOUNT.