Chapter 17

Hermione rubbed her neck where Millicent's bulky arm had been constricting her airway. She watched as Harry and Malfoy got up in front of everyone.

Her eyes narrowed as Snape murmured something in the young Slytherin boy's ear, but she didn't say anything. Harry had seen it, and would deal with it as he saw best.

She hoped.

The duel began and spells flew. Harry was the first to be hit, falling on the floor hard. Malfoy snickered maliciously and Hermione tightened her grip on her wand. She wanted to hex the irritating boy where he was, but Harry scrambled to his feet and did it for her, sending Malfoy flying.

He hit the floor hard on his butt and several people made noises of sympathy at the pain he must have been feeling. Most of those people were his housemates.

Snape grabbed his student by the back of his robe and yanked him to his feet. He spun Malfoy and gave him a sharp push towards Harry. The blond collected himself and took aim.

"Serpensortia!" Malfoy yelled.

Several people screamed when a snake appeared and landed on the floor in a dangerous looking coil. It bobbed it's head, taking in it's surroundings, then turned and started for a group of terrified looking Hufflepuffs.

Harry jumped forward, opening his mouth, but instead of the shout Hermione expected to hear, a low hissing noise issued from his throat.

The room became quiet as the snake slowly turned to look at Harry. Instead of attacking him, it tipped it's head sideways like a dog. Harry hissed at it again and it flicked it's tail as if it was acknowledging what he was 'saying.'

Snape stepped up and waved his wand. The snake disappeared and Justin Finch-Fletchley, pale as death, began to yell at Harry.

"You're all dismissed." Lockhart finally announced. Hermione ran up and pulled a very confused Harry away from the half angry, half scared Hufflepuff and his friends. Ron followed them as she dragged her friend towards the common room.

----------------------------

Harry knocked on his mum's door, wringing his hands nervously.

He heard voices behind the door, then McGonagall opened the door. "Hello, Mr. Potter."

"Hello M-Professor." Harry said formally, catching sight of Oliver Wood standing at the other end of the room.

"Hello Harry!" The older boy greeted with a smile. "Need to talk to Professor McGonagall? I'm just about done, don't worry."

McGonagall motioned for him to stay outside and turned back to her other discussion. "Continue, Mr. Wood."

Oliver continued as the head of Gryffindor closed the door to her room. "As I was saying, Professor-"

Harry paced outside, running over what Hermione had told him.

I'm a Parselmouth. I'm a bloody Parselmouth and I didn't know. Did Mum know? Will she be mad at me if she didn't? Will I get kicked out for being able to talk to snakes? Does Dumbledore know?

"All done Harry!" Wood announced with a grin, opening the door.

"Come in, Mr. Potter." McGonagall called. Harry quickly entered and closed the door.

"Harry, what's wrong?" Instantly she was back to being his mum, not his teacher.

"Did you know?"

"Know what?" Minerva frowned at him.

"Hermione says I talked to a snake today. I didn't think I spoke in a different language or anything but she says I'm a Parselmouth! I didn't know, I promise, but am I going to get in trouble? And why can I speak in Parseltongue? Did you tell Dumbledore? Can Dumbledore speak Parseltongue? Can-"

"Harry!" McGonagall cut him off. "Calm down. I didn't catch all of that, but I heard some of it and I can guarantee that you won't get in trouble. Now slow down and explain what you're so panicked about."

Harry nodded. "Apparently during the duelling club Professor Lockhart made, I talked to a snake. I don't remember changing languages or anything, but Hermione explained that I'm a Parselmouth and that the last wizard able to do that was Voldemort."

Minerva smiled a little at her son's use of the wizard's name. He wasn't scared of something he had already survived.

"I don't want to get in trouble, Mum, do you think Dumbledore knows I can do that?"

She frowned, contemplating it. "I don't believe so, but he will not fault you for it. Parseltongue is not Dark Magic, it's just gotten the reputation from evil wizards like Voldemort. If you wish, I will speak with him."

Harry smiled at her thankfully. "Thanks Mum." He rushed forward and hugged her.

Minerva ran her hand over his messy black hair, smiling.

"Mum, they think I'm the heir of Slytherin." He said quietly.

"Well I know for a fact that isn't true." Minerva pulled him away from her and held him at arm's length. "You are not the heir of Slytherin and we will find out who actually is. You should go back to your dormitory, be careful."

Leaning forward, she lightly kissed his forehead.

Harry was stunned. His mum hardly ever showed physical affection. He grinned at her and ran out of the room, feeling much better.

Minerva turned and walked to her study, heading straight for a certain book shelf.

Picking up the dusty book, she flipped it open to a particularly worn and dog-eared page.

Scanning it, though she didn't need to, McGonagall turned and headed for the dungeons to retrieve some things.

The book lay open on her desk. It's lettering was faded but immaculate. The title was the most obvious, as it had been thicker than the rest.

'How To Become An Animagus'

[A/N I'm gonna start adding some headcanon stuff. little things, not stuff that majorly changes the story, don't worry]