Chapter 44

Minerva McGonagall nearly had a heart attack, right then and there, when she saw Hagrid carrying her son's limp body into the courtyard of Hogwarts.

"NO!"

Someone grabbed her and held her back as she tried to run forward. She didn't know who. She didn't care. She just wanted to reach her boy.

"Silencio!" Voldemort's spell fell over the whole crowd, but Minerva kept fighting. He couldn't be dead. He couldn't be. He was too young, she couldn't lose her son like this.

"Harry Potter is dead!"

Tears blurred Minerva's vision. She could see red hair in the corner of her eyes now, so it was probably a Weasley holding onto her. She didn't listen to Voldemort's speech.

She could tell the spells Voldemort was casting could not take a hold on the students who were fighting. Harry's sacrifice kept them all safe from him.

Love.

Suddenly there were more screams. Minerva frantically shook her head to clear her vision, terrified that there would be more bodies.

Her heart leapt when she saw Harry running through the wreckage, casting spells at the Death Eaters. Arthur Weasley let go of her and she pulled her wand, charging into the fray again.

She spared no one. This would be the last war.

Harry was in the center, flinging hexes at the Dark Lord.

It was almost in slow motion as Tom Riddle's body hit the floor.

Minerva didn't wait for Harry to move. She pushed her way through the crowd and ran to her son.

"Harry!"

He whirled and she caught him in her arms, hugging him tightly.

"Mum...."

"I'm so sorry you had to go through all of this, if I could have protected you I would have without hesitation," she whispered into his hair, feeling tears that had built up over the past year finally begin to fall. "I love you so much, sweetheart, I'm so proud of you, and I don't want you to be in danger ever again."

Harry just hugged her back. She could feel him shaking in her arms.

"Harry!" A few of his friends ran over. Minerva began to let him go, but Harry shook his head and pulled her close again. She smiled softly and kept hugging him as his friends piled on around them, making one big group hug.

"Mimmy?" Harry said quietly.

"Yes?"

"I need to go to the Headmaster's office."

She nodded. "Let's go."

-------------

A Year Later

-------------

"Good evening, students."

Minerva stood in front of a new year of freshly sorted students. The building looked a bit worse for the wear, of course, they hadn't been able to repair everything before the students returned.

"These past years have been quite a spectacle. We're all tired, all worn, all confused and still quite shaken. However, as we begin another school year, I am saying now that as a staff we are collectively working to ensure that this is as normal a school year as it can be at Hogwarts. 

"Returning students, if you are having any problems with breakdowns or other reactions to the traumatic experiences you have dealt with in the past year or more, there are counselors working with Madam Pomfrey. Do not hesitate to tell someone if you are unable to get to them, we all know how terrifying some of the events you went through were and we want to make sure you are going to be okay. It may not happen right away, but we will continue to help you, no matter how long it may take.

"For new students, I ask you to help your students as much as possible. Certain things might be hard for them. They may break down. Do your best to provide them the love and care they will need, because it is what is going to help them recover. I ask you to be understanding, to be gentle, and to do anything you can to make them comfortable."

She looked down at her notes once more.

"Finally, we are missing a few teachers."

She began to list off the positions that had been filled.

"And finally, our Defense Against the Dark Arts position. As many of you know, it has been years since someone occupied this position for more than one year, but with the fall of Lord Voldemort, it is our collective hope that this will finally stop."

Minerva smiled and looked over at the empty seat. "He should be here soon, he had a visit to make. Our new Defense teacher is my son."

Murmurs began to fly throughout the room.

Suddenly the Great Hall doors opened. People turned to look.

"Sorry I'm late, Mum," Harry Potter stood in the doorway, grinning. "I figured I should stay true to brand and miss at least part of your speech."

Minerva chuckled as he made his way up to the front. "I believe I did tell you and Mr. Weasley that one of you was going to become a pocket-watch so the other would be on time."

"Love you too, Mum." Harry kissed her cheek and took his seat.

[A/N so the next chapter is the Epilogue and I think I know where I'm going with it.... Also I don't care if Harry's canonically an Auror after school hE DESERVES TO HAVE SOMETHING NORMAL LIKE STUDENTS COMPLAINING ABOUT HIM GIVING THEM HOMEWORK AND BEING ABLE TO HAVE TEA WITH NEVILLE AND THE OTHER TEACHERS IN THE STAFF ROOM AND STUFF LIKE THAT]