Chapter 33

Harry was working on his homework when  his mother bustled into the room.

"Harry, the Weasleys have tickets to the Quidditch World Cup and Molly wanted to know if you would like to come."

He looked up and grinned. "Yeah! Bulgaria is playing!" 

Minerva chuckled. Harry didn't have a favorite quidditch team, but he would follow the best playing one each year.

"I'll tell her to meet us at your uncle's house, then." She said.

Harry frowned. "Why at the Dursleys'?"

Because you need protection, Minerva thought. "Because leaving from a house rather than the school, where there are several connected fireplaces, is less unnerving and confusing."

"And what are you going to tell them?" Harry asked curiously. Minerva noted that there wasn't much irritation to his voice when he spoke of his only living biological family, but she didn't expect him to have much. She'd taught him not to hold grudges.

"I'll think of something." She told him.

Harry nodded. "Okay."

"Now, back to your homework. I will not allow you to slack off just because it's your mother's class."

"Yes, Mum."

------------------------------

Meeting the Weasleys at the Dursley household was an adventure. Minerva watched as her son used floo powder, then had to help Arthur convince the hysterical Dursleys to let them shrink their son's tongue when the Weasley twins planted some sort of charmed candy for him to steal.

"Thank you, Minerva. We'll take good care of him, don't you worry." Arthur promised.

"And if your boys ask why I was with Harry?" Minerva asked. 

"I'll give Harry a chance to answer, and if he chooses not to reveal that you adopted him, I'll say you came to make sure that your students were going to be safe until the school year starts."

"It can't be any worse than when he drove your flying car to Hogwarts." Minerva reminded him. "Have a good day, Arthur."

"The same to you, Minerva." Arthur ducked into the fireplace and disappeared. Minerva waved her wand at the destroyed fake fireplace, fixing it.

"Get out of my house!" Vernon Dursley roared hoarsely as she walked calmly to the door with him on her heels.

"I assure you, I do not wish to be here any longer than necessary." Minerva told him. She walked down the street and stepped into an alley, focusing on her office. Unlike the students, she could apparate into the school, just like Dumbledore could. Perks of being high up on the staff.

She wondered briefly if Harry would find his animagus form while he was at the Weasleys. She hoped he did, but something told her he wouldn't try. He wanted her to be there when he finally managed the change.

Not that he would get much of a chance this year, with what Dumbledore had planned.

Minerva stepped out of her office and started towards the entrance hall.

"Minerva, would you do me a favor and go check the broom shed for my whistle? I've got a meeting with the headmaster and I've been looking for hours." Madame Hooch asked as they passed each other.

"You tried Accio?" Minerva asked.

"Yes. It didn't show. Like I said, I think I left it in the broom shed."

"I'll find it, Rolanda. Don't worry."

--------------------------

Minerva woke up the next morning feeling more tired than usual. She groaned as she changed back into her human form and walked down the hallway to her office, then out the door. She had a meeting with Dumbledore today, to discuss what they would do for the guests that were coming.

"Minerva! Minerva, did you see?" Someone called her name.

"See what?" Minerva asked as Charity Burbage ran up to her, holding an edition the Daily Prophet.

"Look!" Charity waved the paper in her face.

Minerva grabbed the paper to hold it steady and scanned the front page.

She felt all the color drain from her face.

'Dark Mark Flies Over Quidditch World Cup Site'

She scanned the article frantically.

'Death eaters antagonizing muggles'

'Harry Potter found on site'

'Attacks on the wizards that tried to help'

'Could the Dark Lord be back?'

"No." Minerva answered that question out loud. "Thank you for bringing this to my attention, Charity. I must go speak with the headmaster now."

"Aren't you worried about Harry?" The muggle studies professor asked.

"I'm plenty worried about him. But I know he's in capable hands. Molly and Arthur Weasley are very competent, and they were surrounded by others who were just as skilled at the world cup. There were thousands of wizards there." Minerva said calmly. She knew Harry was safe, she would have been notified otherwise.

"Oh. Of course." Charity considered this.

"I must go now." Minerva started to walk away, then turned and held up the paper still in her hand. "Do you want this back?"

"No, you can keep it. I took out the parts I wanted but I figured you'd want to see the front page since it concerns Harry. Have a good day, Minerva." Charity walked away.

"And you." Minerva called after her before starting towards the headmaster's office again, walking briskly.

I wonder if Albus has seen this.

[A/N Okay so I can't figure out why, but a bunch of my stuff in Wattpad is in Chinese or something.... does anyone else have this problem? It's mostly in my works bank when I try to bold things or italicize them...]