Chapter 18

Minerva marched onto the Quidditch pitch, sighing as she announced that everyone must return to their dormitories. Oliver argued with her, but she shook her head at him. "There's been another attack."

Harry was standing off to the side and she turned to him, seeing Ronald pushing through the confused crowd to find out what was going on.

"Mr. Potter, you should come. Mr. Weasley, you too."

Harry felt his stomach sink. An attack that involved the two of them? There was only one person he could think of who could be the victim.

Sure enough, when they reached the hospital wing, Harry saw a sight that made his stomach drop.

"Hermione!" Ron rushed forward.

McGonagall watched as the two boys ran towards their friend. "She was found with this. Does this mean anything to you?" She asked the boys, motioning to the mirror the young Gryffindor and Ravenclaw prefect had been found near.

Ron shook his head and Harry frowned, trying to figure out what his friend had been up to.

McGonagall nodded. "Well, go back to your dormitories. There will be more information about this later."

"Can we stay with her for a few minutes?" Ron asked timidly.

The Head of Gryffindor House hesitated for a moment before nodding. "Of course. Tell Madame Pomfrey when you leave."

She turned, heading for her meeting with the other Heads of House.

-----------------------------

"We cannot close the school, Albus, the children need teaching!" Filius insisted.

"But he's right, if the children are in danger, they should be removed from the area immediately." Minerva pointed out.

"Just send them home, it's not like they want to be here anyway." Severus rolled his eyes at his associates.

"Well, they do need to learn, but they shouldn't be in danger..." Pomona frowned, then shook her head, "No, they need to be safe, that's more important."

Albus stood quietly, letting the Heads of House argue about the safety of the children versus their education.

"Alright, alright, he's not talking, what do you have in mind, Albus." Minerva was the first to pick up on the Headmaster's silence.

Albus gave her a benevolent smile. "Well, I propose that we enforce some protective rules. Curfews, patrols in the hallway, things like that. Students will not be allowed to wander around the halls without supervision from a prefect or someone above them. Such things as this."

The Heads of House exchanged looks. What Dumbledore suggested was a good idea, but it would be hard to pull off. With so many different classes moving around the building, they would have to work hard to make sure no one was left out and therefore in danger.

"It's better than pulling them out of school." Filius finally said.

Severus sighed. They could tell he would go along with the plan as long as he didn't have to deal with the Gryffindors more than he already did.

"Alright, Albus, that's a fair proposal." Pomona said.

The entire group turned to Minerva.

She could already imagine her son's disappointment. He wouldn't be able to come see her, since he'd need an escort there and back. It would become suspicious very quickly.

On the other hand, if the students were going to stay in the castle, protective measures must be taken to make sure they wouldn't be attacked.

"I can work with this." She nodded.

Albus smiled. "Wonderful. Minerva, will you put together a schedule of who takes what classes where after you all go inform your houses and the other teachers of this development?"

McGonagall nodded. She might be able to sneak in some extra time near Harry if she worked the schedule correctly.

"Well, I suggest you go speak with your students now." Albus waved them off.

When the other three had left, Minerva turned to the Headmaster. "You realize if this doesn't work you will foremost be questioned, correct? And you also realize that we can't just hope another attack doesn't happen. We need to find out what is actually going on."

The old wizard nodded in her direction. "I am progressing slowly, but progressing nonetheless on these subjects. With luck, I will move quicker than our mystery attacker and will have a solution before anyone else is put in danger."

"As long as you aren't inquiring answers from Professor Lockhart." Minerva muttered. Albus heard her and chuckled.

"No, I am not speaking with Gilderoy on this matter. I have the distinct notion that he would not be of help in this situation."

Minerva suppressed a snort. "Or any, for that matter."

"Come now, Minerva, he's not horrible. You should go speak with your students." Albus reminded her.

The gray haired woman nodded and walked out, ignoring the Headmaster's comment about Lockhart. Striding down the hallway, she noticed several spiders scrabbling along the floor.

'Hmmm. I'll have to tell Filch about those.'

[A/N typing in the dark is hard. I'm sorry, I've had major writer's block, hopefully it's gone now!]