Chapter 30

"A corporeal Patronus, Minerva. He's very strong."

"You taught him that, didn't you?" Minerva could see the pride shining in Remus' eyes as they discussed Malfoy's stunt at the Quidditch game.

"Yes. He did remarkably well." Remus said with a smile. "Did you see what it was?"

Minerva nodded. "A stag. Just like his father's."

"My heart was racing when I saw it. Reminded me of that time James was casting Patronuses to distract the Ravenclaw Seeker at that one game during my years here."

Minerva chuckled. "I suspended him for three games for that."

"You did." Remus smiled, but it died down slowly. "I miss him."

"I know you do." Minerva said. She remembered being at the Potters' funeral, sitting next to a heartbroken Remus Lupin who had cried the entire service and had been unable to finish his eulogy speech because he was so overcome with emotion. She remembered the one night a few days after that she had been in a muggle pub and found him drunk in a corner, sobbing incoherently about his best friends.

She knew and understood better than anyone else what he had been through.

"Remus, you should get some sleep. The full moon has just past, you're obviously drained."

He sighed and rubbed his face. "I should... Goodnight, Minerva."

"Goodnight, Remus." She watched him walk out.

"A corporeal Patronus." She murmured. "I knew he was something, but Harry continues to amaze me."

"I'm not surprised." Dumbledore spoke from behind her.

"Neither am I, but it is still an impressive feat for a 13 year old."

"That is true." The headmaster looked rather drained as well. "I know it's not his fault, but your son has been bringing quite the stir to Hogwarts each year. Quirrell and Voldemort, Riddle's Diary and the Basilisk, now the Dementors and supposedly Sirius Black."

"You're right, it's not his fault." Minerva said sternly. "We knew it would be interesting to have the Boy Who Lived at Hogwarts, Albus. Whatever he brings to the table each year, we will have to combat it. Voldemort will find a way to come back, and when he does, Harry will need to be ready, which means a full education."

"We'll help him any way we can, Minerva. Don't worry." Dumbledore nodded gravely. "You look tired. You could probably use some rest just as much as Remus does."

Minerva nodded, sensing the underlying order to go to bed. "You should sleep as well, Albus. It is hard to see it, but I can see the tiredness in your face as well. We all need sleep."

"And we shall get it. I will see you tomorrow, Minerva."

In moments, the Deputy Headmistress and Transfiguration Professor was alone in her office.

Rather than go to bed right away, Minerva went to her shelf, to a set of identical books bound in emerald green leather. She counted down the row to the 13th book and pulled it from the shelf. Taking it to her desk, she set it down and opened it to the marked place.

Taking a quill and a pot of ink, she scrawled the date at the top of the page and began to write.

'You produced a corporeal Patronus today at the Quidditch game. I was very surprised that you created one so young, and proud that you were strong enough to do so. Remus told me that he has been teaching you how to fight off the Dementors. Always remember what others teach you, you never know when things can come in handy.'

She had decided to write journals for each year of Harry's life. They would be a birthday present for his 18th birthday, documenting his life up to the end of his first year of adulthood in the Wizarding world.

Closing the book, she felt a yawn coming up, but stifled it. Standing, she closed the journal and put it back on the shelf.

Turning into a cat, she padded into her personal chambers. She leapt up onto her bed and curled up in the middle of it after dragging the pillows over to her. She found that she woke with less aches and pains if she slept as a cat.

Seeing as she hadn't turned the lights on in the first place, Minerva quickly fell asleep, snuggled in the center of her large bed. She knew the next day would bring new trials and tests and she was going to be ready for them.

[A/N last one for tonight. I think I ruptured my eardrum, but idk how cause I did basically nothing today....if hurts 😖]