Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Eli's POV)

Now I know something really is going on. There's no way Dani would step that close to me if there wasn't. I still can't believe she did that. It's like she was using me for protection. That's pretty cool. I honestly didn't think I'd see the day, but she must be making progress. I mean, I know she tolerates my company but having her choose to let me protect her is entirely different. Protect her from what though? She's seen Cain before; he's always floating around somewhere, just like the rest of the guys. I look over at Dani and she looks frightened. There's panic in her eyes. Most people probably wouldn't notice it, but I've seen her at home when she's in a more relaxed mood. Her eyes tell a different story depending what mood she's in.

“Dani? What's wrong?”

“Nothing. Just tired, sir. I'd like to go home to bed please.”

“Sure. I'll walk you home and let you rest.”

She nods and I don't know why but I feel like a door has been slammed in my face. She doesn't seem as comfortable or open. She's been quiet since last night, but seeing Cain has made her worse. Has he really unsettled her that much?

A million thoughts are running through my mind and as I walk Dani into her apartment, I say, “Dani, if there was something wrong you'd tell me, wouldn't you? Like if something happened, you'd say, right?”

She looks confused. “If someone did something, upset you, or whatever you'd tell me?”

“Why do you ask that, sir?”

Evasion, I'm not liking that. “Because you've been more quiet than usual. Since last night you've been acting different.”

“I'm just tired, Eli. I've had loads of work to do.”

“I know. But you'd tell me, wouldn't you?”

She hesitates and then says, “Yes sir.”

“I mean it, Dani. If something happened I need to know.”

“Yes sir.”

“Ok. Get some rest and I'll speak to you tomorrow.”

I'm half-way out the door when Dani whispers, “Eli?”

“Yeah?”

“I'm sorry.”

“Sorry? For what?”

“For... everything.”

“You don't need to be sorry, sweetheart. Just let me help you. Get some sleep.”

As I make my way home, I can't help but wonder if Dani thinks I treat her like a child. In some ways I guess she is child-like. And I don't mean that in a creepy weird stalker way. Sometimes her mindset is just so simple and child-like. It's a little bit like things have to be explained and laid out for her. Maybe that's because of the lifestyle she had before. I imagine whoever held her told her what to think and what to do 24/7. It's not something I like to think about so I try to shove those thoughts to the back of my mind. I can't go there or it will drive me insane. Sometimes it's the not knowing that's worse, especially when you've seen what can and does happen. I don't know what actually happened to Dani, but my mind keeps straying to all the awful things I've seen and some of the teams have seen. It doesn't make for a pretty picture, let me assure you. I'd rather just know what happened and deal with it. I know Dani isn't ready to talk about it in detail though.