Chapter Ninety-Three

Eli

Dani and I are silent all through the car ride back to my parents' house. I'm not angry I wasn't in the room for the session with Sam. Although, I do have mixed feelings on the matter. I'm pleased Dani is making progress and she was comfortable enough to be alone in the room with Sam. I love that she's getting better with these things, but I just wish I was in there. I want to be able to share in her achievements and I also want her to feel like she can tell me anything. I think she still worries about how I'm going to react to her experiences. She really shouldn't worry. I'm not going anywhere, no matter what she says. I would like to know what she's been through, so I can help her to get through her recovery better. Still, I just have to be patient and wait for Dani to reveal that information to me.

My parents ask Dani about her first day back at work. I sit back and watch the exchange, happy that Dani seems to be accepting the invitation into our family. I did worry that she would never feel like a part of our family.

When I come out of my thoughts, I hear my pops talking to Dani about her appointment with Dr. Stone on Thursday.

“Dr. Stone thinks your cast might be able to come off this week. I bet it'll feel weird to walk on that leg again.”

“I'm sure it will. I have been putting some weight on it, but I'm wary of doing too much too soon. Hopefully it's healed properly.”

“He'll take x-rays on Thursday and see how the bones look. You'll have to go through physio again though.”

“Yes sir...”

I tune them back out again, getting lost in my own thoughts. I come back to reality when my mom says, “Eli, you look tired. You should go to bed. Your pops and I will clean up the dinner mess.”

“I can help, Connie.”

“Nonsense, dear. You both have had a long day. Why don't you call it a night? You can help tomorrow night, ok?”

“Yes ma'am. Good night.”

I bid my parents good night as well and follow Dani to the bedroom. I help her into the bath, so she can wash up. As she soaks in the tub, she says, “I'll be so glad when I can actually shower properly. I don't feel clean washing like this.”

“I know. I didn't think you'd be comfortable any other way though. I'll be glad when I don't nearly have a heart attack every time you rinse your hair.”

I shoot her a smile, to let her know I'm half joking. Although, it really does worry me. I know that she won't be able to right herself with the leg cast on.

She nods. I know she's embarrassed to be talking about this. The thought of her being naked is embarrassing to her, which is why she's still wearing clothes in the tub. It makes one heck of a mess once she's out of the tub, but that's just something we have to deal with. We follow our usual night time routine. Something we have quickly become accustomed to. Dani climbs into bed before me and waits for me to slide my arm behind her. We've got so used to this routine, that we don't even think about it anymore.

I squeeze Dani's side with the arm that's settled behind her and I ask, “Hey, you doing ok?”

“Yeah. Are you angry with me, Eli?”

“Angry? Never. Can I ask why you'd think that though?”

“Because Sam asked you to leave the room and I didn't ask for you to stay...”

“No, I'm not angry. I understand you don't want me to hear some things, but I don't want you to feel like you have to hide stuff from me. You could tell me you were a vampire or werewolf and it wouldn't change my feelings for you. You're not a vampire or werewolf, are you?”

She lets out a little giggle and then covers her mouth. That sound is so adorable and I want to hear it again.

“Not that I'd care if you were, but I think we'd have some explaining to do to my mom and pops. Ash probably would have some issues and the Cap might think again about hiring you...”

She giggles at my stupidity and I chuckle at her innocence and beauty. In some respects she is very innocent, even after everything she's been through.

“You're not answering here, baby, I'm getting worried. Do I need to check for fangs or fur?”

Her giggles escalate as she nearly squeals in laughter, “No! No fangs or fur, I promise.”

“Good. My mom might have had a heart attack.”

I smile brightly at her and she turns a deep shade of red. “You're absolutely beautiful, Danica. I truly mean that. You couldn't look any more beautiful than at this moment. I know you find this embarrassing, but I need to tell you.”

She doesn't say anything, but I'm not expecting her to. I've said it and I will keep saying it until she believes me.

“I'm not angry though, I promise. I understand your reasons. Do you want to talk about the session? Did you remember anything?”

She hesitates and then explains what she remembered in the session with Sam. When I hear about the winged skull picture, it makes me think of Coney Island, but there has to be plenty of other pictures like that in this city.

Dani asks, “Does that help?”

“Maybe. I have an idea of a general location, but there's probably hundreds of picture like that in the city. Do you remember anything else?”

“No sir, I'm sorry. I'm trying, I promise.”

“I know, sweetheart. It's ok. At least I can give the Cap something tomorrow. That'll give the higher ups something to work on. We know you're trying and what you have remembered is better than what we currently have. You should get some sleep, Dani. You look tired.”

“I am. Are you ok, Eli?”

I smile at her concern and reply, “I'm fine, baby. Tired, but I'm good. I'm with you, how can I not be?”

She smiles softly at me and whispers, “Do you always know what to say?”

“Not always, but I'm always honest with you. I just think you should know how much I appreciate you.”

She looks stunned and embarrassed but she eventually whispers, “Thank you.”

“You're most welcome. Let's get some sleep, huh?”

“Yes sir. Good night Eli.”

"Night sweetheart."

I place a kiss on the top of Dani's head as we settle into the bed. The little nice and affectionate moments seem to be happening more often now. That is definitely a good sign. Hopefully we'll both get a good night's sleep.