Part 6

~

"I don't think we did go blind, I think we are blind, Blind but seeing, Blind people who can see, but do not see."

-José Saramago

~

It's was Saturday morning. I was laying in bed, my eyes slowly opening. The light pouring into the window blinding me. I slowly got out of bed and rubbed my eyes.

I yawned before walking over to my window and looking out. Everything was covered in a new layer of snow. Other then the white blandness of the snow everywhere the sky was clear. I grabbed my phone and checked the weather.

It was a whopping 28 degrees Fahrenheit outside.

Looks like I'll be spending yet another day freezing my nuts off. I sighed. I throw my phone onto my bed before opening my door and walking into the hall.

It was cold as I walked down the stairs. As I walked into the kitchen my mother greeted me. "Morning, sweets." My mom said happily. I didn't answer her. I'm not much of a morning person. My mother looked at me for a moment before looking into the fridge.

"What did I tell you about walking around the house half naked?" My mother scolded me. I rolled my eyes before looking down at my shirtless torso and sweatpants covered legs.

My mother has always had a thing about looking presentable. She's always nagging me about the possibility of her having someone over and me walking in naked or something and embarrassing myself. Honestly, I couldn't give a shit if I tried.

"How'd you sleep?" My mother asked me as I ran my fingers through my messy hair. "Fine." I lied with a yawn. I grabbed a box of cereal off the counter. "Where were you last night?" My mom asked as she looked at me.

"With the guys," I answered as my mom passed me a bowl. "Doing what?" She asked digging for more information. "We just played video games," I said half lying. Technically video games were played, but we mainly smoked weed and drank.

As I thought about my night activities I began to feel the effects of a hangover coming on.

I poured myself a bowl of cereal as my mother passed me the milk. I then added the milk into my bowl before grabbing a spoon and taking a bite.

I quickly ate as my mom began to talk about people at her job. I wasn't really listening but I pretended that I was. I cared about my mom too much to tell her that I didn't give two shits let alone one about Ms.Adams getting a haircut.

Once done with my cereal I put the dish in the sink and went to the fridge and grabbed the orange juice. I took a large swig from the jug. "Daniel Fisher, stop that this instant!" My mother scolded as she looked at me.

I rolled my eyes. Mom hates it when I drink from the carton but the cups are too far away. And, I'm too lazy to walk two feet to the cabinet. Plus, by drinking from the carton there are fewer dishes to wash.

So really I'm doing everyone a justice by drinking from the carton. But instead of explaining my logic to her, I pulled the best shamed guilty look I could before saying "sorry, mom." My mother simply rolled her eyes in response.

With that said and done my mother and I walked into the living room together. I throw my body on the couch covering all three cushions while my mother sat in the love seat.

My mother turned on the tv and quickly put on America's Next Top Model. I didn't complain as one of the girls posed in her Bikini.

I watched another three episodes with my mom before getting up and heading back upstairs. I went into my room and stripped before grabbing my towel and covering my waist before walking toward the bathroom.