Part 46

~

"Some have eyes but can't see. Some can see but have no eyes."

-Chinonye J. Chidolue

~

Once again, I woke to the familiar sound of beeping.

I opened my eyes. The room dark, only lite by a single lamp. The blinds drawn closed.

My mom sat beside me. Her head rested down on the bed end as she slept in the uncomfortable hospital chair. To my surprise, Vanessa laid sleeping in a chair by the window.

Before I could say anything the room door opened letting in light. I turned to the door to see a man.

He stood tall with broad shoulders. Even in the darkness of the room, I could see his tired brown eyes looking at me. He smiled.

"Hey, champ." He said as he walked over to me. A cup of coffee in his hand.

Wait, I may have only heard it once before. But, I knew that voice.

"Dad?"

Before he could respond, the sound of my mom's crying filled the room and suddenly she was hugging me.

"You're finally awake!" She said happily. The coolness of her tears on my neck. After a long moment, she released me from her hold.

I couldn't remember how I ended up here again. Everything went blurry after I went into my bedroom.

Whatever happened must have been bad because my mom looked seconds away from breaking.

Her skin sickly pale, large bags under her red eyes, and cheeks sunken in.

I lifted my hand to comfort her but was stopped by a strap around my wrist. I tried to lift my other hand but stop as it was also held down by a strap.

"What's going on? Mom? Why am I tied down?" I yelled in a panic. I didn't like this feeling.

The feeling of being trapped. The feeling of being completely out of control.

Vanessa wordlessly got up and walked out of the room as my parents tried to calm me.

"Relax, Daniel. It's okay. It's for your own protection." Mom said as she placed her hand on my shoulder trying to stop me from moving.

"How is this for my protection?" I cried still freaking out.

"You were hurting yourself in your sleep." My father said calmly as he set his coffee down.

I froze. I didn't remember trying to do that.

Neither of them said anything as my father stood at my bedside and brushed one of my curls away from my face. I flinched at his touch.

The room door opened and in walked Vanessa followed by a doctor.

"It's good that you're finally awake, Daniel." The doctor said as he looked down at a clipboard. I looked away from the doctor to see my dad whisper something to Vanessa before she turned and walked out of the room again.

What was going on?

"You've woken a few times over the last two days. Each time you were very erratic and you had to be sedated. Do you remember that?" The doctor said easily.

"No." I croaked my throat suddenly feeling dry.

The doctor wrote something down, before finally looking at me.